Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP costs rant!
CPAP costs rant!
Pretty much everything CPAP-related is expensive, as we all know, especially if you buy equipment from what I will call the 'recognised brands'. Mostly, I have little problem with this, having been involved in the technology industry myself, with some exposure to the unique rigour imposed when making devices for medical applications. That's not to say though that some manufacturers aren't gouging their customers ...

Perhaps the hardest price to swallow is the price of new headgear, at least for my Resmed machine. There's little 'technology' and no fancy components, no expensive materials and no super-tight tolerances to meet. So why does a pretty basic piece of stretchy fabric and a couple of cheap-as-chips plastic connectors cost AUD67? Perhaps it's the Resmed label that's sewn on? That must be it.

Expensive things, labels.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP costs rant!!!!!
EBAY is a good source for CPAP equipment. Brand-new, sealed in the package, AirFit F20 head gear for about $16.00 or so, shipped! 

Several months ago, I purchased a ResMed 10 AutoSet branded water reservoir, brand-new in the box, for under $10.00 shipped. My wife and I have very good health insurance. It covers about 80% of the price of the equipment that I receive. 

I've seen ResMed head gear on various DMS supplier sites for $31.00. That's not too bad. EBAY is still better by far obviously. 

I've familiarized myself pretty well when it comes to CPAP replacement equipment. When I see a good price on something I want or need, I know it.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2019, 06:30 PM)Big Guy Wrote: EBAY is a good source for CPAP equipment. Brand-new, sealed in the package, AirFit F20 head gear for about $16.00 or so, shipped! 

Several months ago, I purchased a ResMed 10 AutoSet branded water reservoir, brand-new in the box, for under $10.00 shipped. My wife and I have very good health insurance. It covers about 80% of the price of the equipment that I receive. 

I've seen ResMed head gear on various DMS supplier sites for $31.00. That's not too bad. EBAY is still better by far obviously. 

I've familiarized myself pretty well when it comes to CPAP replacement equipment. When I see a good price on something I want or need, I know it.  Bigwink

You're absolutely right. I buy a lot of stuff from eBay, including expensive camera gear.

The price I quoted was on Ebay (Australia). It's not unusual for prices to be much higher here in Australia than elsewhere. Consequently, much of what I buy on eBay comes from sellers in the USA, UK and China. AUD67 equates to approx USD45 today.

I have in fact ordered a set of 'replica' headgear from China for AUD7.00. Unfortunately, it's not for my mask but a different Resmed mask, but Mrs Wife is a wizard with her sewing machine and says she can modify it. I am conflicted though. I abhor IP infringement and usually refuse to buy knock-off products (not least because many of them are awful quality) but when manufacturers are taking the mickey, exploiting folks who are pretty much captive, it's easy to feel vindicated.
Post Reply Post Reply
One way to save is to ignore the ridiculous recommended replacement schedules. I've been using the same F20 mask and cushion for over 2.5 years.The silicone has yellowed a little but it seals as well as when new Still works fine. I replace hoses when they fail. I bought a new hose a year ago because I wanted a heated hose. I expect to get at least a couple of years use with it. Same for humidifiers. I replace them when they develop leaks. I keep one spare of everything on hand. The only thing I replace per the schedule is filters and they're dirt cheap.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I normally check both Amazon and eBay for replacement parts for the best price - here in the US. I've been pretty happy with prices so far. Sounds like you are 100% out-of-pocket like me. Also, I try to keep one of each critical consumable part on hand in case something rips, tears or breaks. Then I don't have to go a few nights without PAP, and I have time to get another replacement part at a good price.

Sleep-well
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2019, 11:05 PM)Melman Wrote: One way to save is to ignore the ridiculous recommended replacement schedules ...

Definitely. For the first couple of years, I more or less followed the manufacturer's advice regarding parts replacement, but the cost got tiresome, real quick, so I began stretching the replacement times out. The mask inc cushion I am currently using has been in use for over two years now, and the only thing that's giving me trouble is the headgear, which has stretched beyond its adjustment range. Everything else, cushion included, is fine.

Now I've taunted the Gods of Apnea, I'm in for a night of leaks, mask displacement and the hose popping off Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2019, 05:41 PM)StevesSp Wrote: Pretty much everything CPAP-related is expensive, as we all know, especially if you buy equipment from what I will call the 'recognised brands'. Mostly, I have little problem with this, having been involved in the technology industry myself, with some exposure to the unique rigour imposed when making devices for medical applications. That's not to say though that some manufacturers aren't gouging their customers ...

Perhaps the hardest price to swallow is the price of new headgear, at least for my Resmed machine. There's little 'technology' and no fancy components, no expensive materials and no super-tight tolerances to meet. So why does a pretty basic piece of stretchy fabric and a couple of cheap-as-chips plastic connectors cost AUD67? Perhaps it's the Resmed label that's sewn on? That must be it.

Expensive things, labels.

You're no stranger to technology, i see no issues then. Make your own and 3d print them, polyamide 1100, 1200, 2200 are all biocertified for contact with saliva and are very common nylon powders for SLS printing not to mention mouthpieces like narval are made from nylon 12. Also a headstrap is easy to make and if done properly will fit your head and not cause any pain.
Post Reply Post Reply
As soon as I saw the title of the post I knew you were a fellow Aussie. Apart from one company here in OZ, I always buy from the US. That company has prices good enough to negate the postage from the US but unfortunately they don't have everything I would need.

Australia is a captive market for PAP gear and Medicare does not cover any of the costs apart from the bulk billed sleep study. Your health fund will be similarly unsympathetic. Vote with your feet and buy from the US.
Post Reply Post Reply
Which company are you talking about Holden? If there's a good one we should support it.

You can name names but don't post a link.
Post Reply Post Reply
Same here. I live in the Philippines and the prices of everything related to CPAP is atrocious! DMEs sell CPAP machines and accessories here at  more than double their prices in the US.

For warranty purposes I had to buy my BIPAP (Dreamstation Auto Bipap) here and was lucky to negotiate the price down to almost the same as its US price. But for masks and other accessories, I buy from the US.
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 17 669 04-14-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Rant about insurance, sleep study, and costs Stuff 8 1,174 06-20-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: cmpman1974
  Rant on Resmed N20's terrible design that causes TMJ issues CorruptAlligator 3 600 02-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
Gross [News] Sleep apnea is massively undertreated and costs billions in health problems JoeyWallaby 16 2,415 01-01-2020, 09:01 PM
Last Post: LeonardoDR
Gross [Equipment] Intro! + Rant! + Rage-quit my DME, what should I buy? argh 13 2,154 09-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  (Rant) Returning machine today DoubtFire61 19 2,957 03-10-2018, 12:41 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Another small rant. Terry 42 7,582 03-23-2017, 12:24 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.