Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP]  could i loose the cpap
could i loose the cpap
hi, ive recently been diagnosed with severe osa... 545 hypopneas( i think is the word) in just over 6 hours of sleep test. i am a over weight, but working on that. 2 and a half stone lost now since christmas , and still coming off nicely. currently just under 15 and half stone. the question i need answering is, is it possible for me too loose the cpap if i loose a few more stone ? has anyone done this through weight loss. the way i look at it i never needed it a few years ago, before i put on weight i used to drive all across the country without any sleepiness or problems. so i was wondering if i got back to a healthy size, could i do without it again. any info/ advice would be very much appreciated as this is all fairly new to me. thanks very much in advance..
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: could i loose the cpap
Hi taffy84,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
OSA is not necessarily a weight thing. It can be a factor but it's not always a weight issue. Weight loss is good for many other health reasons, but there is no guarantee that you'll be able to go without CPAP.
Hang in there for more responses as others can explain this better.
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's POSSIBLE, but don't expect it to happen.

You are about 217 lbs. and while you say overweight, there are people much close to an ideal weight who still have apnea.

Settle in for the long haul.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2014, 09:29 AM)taffy84 Wrote: hi, I've recently been diagnosed with severe osa... 545 hypopneas( i think is the word) in just over 6 hours of sleep test. i am a over weight, but working on that. 2 and a half stone lost now since christmas , and still coming off nicely. currently just under 15 and half stone. the question i need answering is, is it possible for me too loose the cpap if i loose a few more stone ? has anyone done this through weight loss. the way i look at it i never needed it a few years ago, before i put on weight i used to drive all across the country without any sleepiness or problems. so i was wondering if i got back to a healthy size, could i do without it again. any info/ advice would be very much appreciated as this is all fairly new to me. thanks very much in advance..

It's been about 27 years since I was in the UK, and I know your medical system is much different than what us commoner's over the pond are used too, so I'm not sure about your weight loss and loosing the machine. You need to ask the people that issued you the machine.

Congratulations on weight loss. How tall are you? I'm 5'9" and also just under 15 & 1/2 stone, but you're doing a bang up job at loosing.

Post Reply Post Reply
I think a lot of people would like to someday get over the cpap thing. But really, it's not such a bad thing to do. When all works right it's kind of nice to wake up with your little mask pumping away for you.

Once you get to your ideal weight, and develop a good exercise program (oh dread!) that you know you'll keep forever, then you might visit the docs for a new sleep test.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2014, 09:29 AM)taffy84 Wrote: hi, ive recently been diagnosed with severe osa... 545 hypopneas( i think is the word) in just over 6 hours of sleep test.
That means your diagnostic AHI was right around 90 = 545/6, which means that you had an average of about 90 events per each hour of sleep. In other words, on your diagnostic test you were having an average of 3 hypopneas for every 2 minutes of sleep.

This is extremely severe OSA: The border between "moderate" and "severe" OSA is an AHI = 30.

While excess weight can aggravate OSA and even cause mild to moderate OSA in a person who would not have OSA at normal weight, typically an overweight person with very severe OSA is going to have it regardless of what they weigh.

Still, loosing weight is good for you and I congratulate you on the ongoing weight loss. It's quite possible that once you get down to your desired weight that your untreated OSA won't be as severe. It's possible that the pressure needed to control the remaining OSA may be different than what you need now. And who knows, you may be the very rare exception and be lucky enough to have the OSA fully resolve once you're down at your target weight in spite of the severity of the OSA now.

But I would NOT assume that the OSA will disappear with the weight loss. If I were you, once I was at my target weight for a good six months or so, I'd request a second sleep test without the pap just to see how the weight loss has affected the severity of the OSA.

Good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
Being skinny does not always equate healthiness and happiness. In general, weight loss considered good for your health and well being but not a cure for sleep apnea especially central apnea

Not all weight loss is good weight loss, the faster you drop weight, the more muscle you loose

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks very much for the welcome. and thankyou very much for the replys and kind words. as i said, its all quite new to me. so all the info is much appreciated. still having a few teething problems but im sure i'll get there. its nice to know that there are friendly people out there with the same problem and are all helping each other. looks like im going to be in it for the long run so all the tips and advice from you guys is going to make it easier. again , thanks to all..
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2014, 12:49 PM)taffy84 Wrote: thanks very much for the welcome. and thankyou very much for the replys and kind words. as i said, its all quite new to me. so all the info is much appreciated. still having a few teething problems but im sure i'll get there. its nice to know that there are friendly people out there with the same problem and are all helping each other. looks like im going to be in it for the long run so all the tips and advice from you guys is going to make it easier. again , thanks to all..
Hi taffy84,
No problem, just feel free to ask any questions you have to help you in your understanding of all things CPAP.
This therapy can take some getting used to, but it does get better.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-22-2014, 11:32 AM)retired_guy Wrote: I think a lot of people would like to someday get over the cpap thing. But really, it's not such a bad thing to do. When all works right it's kind of nice to wake up with your little mask pumping away for you.

I am with retired guy on this:

Even if my OSA magically disappeared, I would be willing to wear the mask with zero complaint to prevent the snoring that disturbs my wife.

It may sound silly, but it's really comfortable to be able to pull the covers completely over my head and still breath fresh air. (I like that.)

Just avoiding my nasal congestion (which has been gone for weeks after getting effectively started with the mask) is worth the inconveniences.

And, with no congestion I don't wake up (nor sleep fitfully) with a mouth so dry it gives me a sore throat.

In other words, even if I ignore the long term health benefits, the mask is better (for me) than "no mask".

Of course, I am one of the truly lucky ones who can wear the Airfit P10 without need of a chin strap.

For me is is ALMOST the case of asking, "What mask? Oh you mean that little thing?"

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,526 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  AirSense 10 Filter - When to Change & Loose Fibers Phil7 10 1,502 12-04-2021, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Hypoxic
  Resmed AirFit N30 headgear loose Coffee Man 1 946 12-04-2019, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  AirFit headgear loose due to tossing and turning hmucha 8 2,485 06-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
Question AirFit headgear loose geoffleach 15 13,379 03-06-2017, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Cranberry Ray
  Leaving your FF mask a little loose-does it work for you? old dude 13 5,970 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Last Post: Lukie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.