Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP data while awake and conscious?
CPAP data while awake and conscious?
I took a nap yesterday and looked at the data on the resmed website after it was transferred via the built in cell based modem. My USB card reader has not arrived, so I only have the data from the resmed/myair website at this time.

Anyway, I was shocked to see the ‘event’ count indicate 70 events per hour during the ‘nap’. In actuality, I did not sleep during my nap attempt, I was trying to sleep and laying in my bed. I was fully awake and was hoping I could fall asleep though, but it never happened.

I wasn’t expecting a high event count, obviously I was breathing well, even though the cpap thought I was asleep.

Does the high event count while awake indicate there might be other health related issue(s) that might need to be addressed? I’m now finding myself interested in using the cpap and comparing my sleep data to the data when I’m awake! Do physicians compare the 'awake' profile and the 'sleep' profile for diagnostic purposes?

Comments?

W1ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP data while awake and conscious?
If you saw a recording of your flow rates while awake, it could be pretty alarming. We tend to breathe irregularly, hold breaths and change volume frequently. Sleep breathing is normally very regular. We can identify the difference very quickly in reading OSCAR charts. Events recorded while awake have no meaning. Once you have your SD card, we can help you to interpret things, but let's focus on sleep. Naps can be a mess anyway.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
TY Sleeprider! I wasn't aware how much all the data varied when I'm awake, even though I'm in bed trying to sleep!!!! I know about naps from my Sleep 101 (self taught) lessons-they destroy sleep patterns which leads to degraded sleep overall and should be avoided if possible.

As it so happens, my USB card reader came today and I saw what the parameters look like (in OSCAR) when I'm awake for the first time just a few minutes ago, holy crap Batman-it's scary! And, even a beginner could tell the difference between sleep and awake when looking at OSCAR plots!

I only have one valid night of sleep recorded, the rest of the recordings were playing with and learning about the Autoset machine. OSCAR looks SUPER, the screen shots we see on the forum don't do it justice::> I don't have any personal info in my profile, is it appropriate or possible to post the entire .EDF file to the forum?? Or, is it not as simple as that?

Again, TY

W1ABA
Post Reply Post Reply
If we need to see an entire SD card we can let you know. Usually we only need it in very complex cases, to obtain data from machines that need Oscar development or if someone is completely helpless in posting charts.

You will be amazed what we can tell you from a single daily detail chart from Oscar, formatted as shown in the Organizing Your Oscar Chart in my signature links.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [CPAP] Intense Fatigue - Seeking Advice: CPAP Data Analysis PerplexedTom 5 176 04-22-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 197 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Symptoms] Good until 3am, then awake sadness AvocadoSniffer 2 160 04-12-2024, 12:04 AM
Last Post: AvocadoSniffer
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 248 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 130 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 191 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  [CPAP] New to cpap! Just wondering if my data looks ok so far wwjkcd 1 219 03-08-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.