Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: His and Her CPAPs?
This poll is closed.
My spouse is also on CPAP.
42.86%
9 42.86%
I suspect my spouse might need it. Should get tested.
23.81%
5 23.81%
Probably not needed.
28.57%
6 28.57%
Not applicable.
4.76%
1 4.76%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Are You in Couple's CPAP Therapy?
Are You in Couple's CPAP Therapy?
What I had been suspecting for quite some time has come to be. Just as she had discerned the snoring and disturbed sleep that eventually led to my being diagnosed with OSA, I have returned the favor for my wife.

After the many months it takes here to go through the process of getting an appointment with a GP, to get a referral to a respirologist, to getting the appointment, to first being sent for a home sleep study which at the follow-up appointment revealed itself to be inconclusive with and AHI of 8, followed by a referral for a proper overnight hospital polysomnography, the result was revealed another month later by said respirologist to be 35.2, which led to a prescription of 7-15 cmH2O.

Luckily, I had purchased an identical back-up machine for US$383 late last autumn from Amazon before the industry put the kibosh on that, so I pulled it out of the closet and set everything up via the open sesame clinician's settings, originally obtained through the good auspices of this board. I set her up for starters with a Respironics Nuance Pro nasal pillow mask I had tried last year for about a week before moving on to other masks, but for her I unsealed an unused set of small size pillows that it had come with.  

Last night, she was finally set to sail for her maiden voyage on the sea of CPAP. Dreaming

The new profile i created for her this morning in Sleepyhead gave her an AHI of .85. Big difference. Amazing

So, anyone else in a similar situation, whereby you have his and her CPAP machines, or suspect it might be on the horizon?

Vote in the poll.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Are You in Couple's CPAP Therapy?
what interests / concerns me is the huge difference between the home study and psg. I guess it doesn't matter as long as titrated properly but it's pretty clear to me that I wasn't. so aside from confirming what I already knew from 5 previous sleep studies and would eventually learn from my data-capable machine and from this forum, both my most recent home test and in lab titration were a waste of time and money.

edit: I should add that my wife has become a likely candidate in the last 2 years. if I can talk her into it, I expect to trial her on my unused autoset.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was on cpap a long time before my wife. she went in for a cardiac procedure. when it was done the cardiologist advised her to see a sleep doctor based on apnea events during her procedure. long story short, she had the study, got the machine and now we have dueling identical twin S10 autosets.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife and I both have had cpap for some time. My wife received her Dx of Osa first as for many years she would stop breathing. I stumbled into my Dx as I have been a life long snorer and asked my dentist for a mouth guard to help with snoring. He wanted me evaluated first leading me to a sleep clinic. Most of my osa is related to the obstruction that caused my snoring. We have both found our way through the different option in the last few years with the guidance I found here.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP therapy for the past 5 years and with great success. I'm so thankful that I finally found the answer to my daytime sleepiness and brain fog. 

For many years, I had noticed my wife's snoring and thought nothing of it. Seems everybody snores....right? After I started my CPAP treatment, I began to realize that not only was she snoring, but she was clearly having obstructive breathing events that scared the hell out of me. Mostly to the point of it disturbing MY sleep. I would lay awake listening for her to stop breathing and give her a nudge to bring her out of it. This could go on for hours until I finally fell asleep. 

She started to have serious periods of falling asleep during the day while in the middle of a conversation or other inappropriate times. My Mom had narcolepsy and this was a common occurrence for her as well. I finally got my wife to realize how dangerous her situation was getting and got her to a sleep clinic. She was diagnosed with fairly severe OSA and prescribed a machine and therapy.

It's been a tough road for her to adjust to CPAP therapy, but through my experience and the help of this forum, she's finally on the road to better sleep. The point is if you're sleeping next to someone every night, make sure they're breathing. Rolleyes
My get-up-and-go musta got up and went.  Cool

Download OSCAR for your sleep data.  
https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 53 926 7 hours ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,080 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 172 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,269 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,363 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.