Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power
CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power
Are members aware whether the use of CPAP machines connected to a plane’s AC power have caused problems with the airplanes or their AC power which is now available on most late model airplanes? 

On a recent 13 hours Emirates flight from Dubai to Sydney I was not permitted to connect my Resmed S9 CPAP machine to the plane’s AC power outlet. Cabin staff pointed out (correctly) that this information is available in Emirates’ passenger information on their website. 

I’ve connected my CPAP machine to the AC power on many Emirates flights over the past 15 years including 4 times in the past 6 weeks and have previously (some time ago) confirmed via the passenger information on their web site, that this was permitted. This was a complete surprise to me and a serious inconvenience on such a long flight.

This “ ban” seems rather odd to me as you can connect a laptop power supply some of which draw up to 65W, to the plane’s AC power. I’m guessing people may have used humidifiers connected to their CPAP machines and therefore exceeded the typical plane’s 75W maximum power availability and possibly tripped some circuit breakers. 

The S9 data sheet seems to indicate it draws about 20W (max 36W) without the humidifier so airlines should not have a problem with the amount of power being drawn exceeding their plane’s AC outpost capacity.  I assume that most other late model CPAP machines will be much the same - which is way less that the airplane’s 75W maximum. 

Perhaps CPAP manufacturers or other organisations might be encouraged to work with airlines to develop more practical policies regarding the use of CPAP machines on their plane’s AC power.  
Would ResMed or others care to comment on this.

I am aware there are airlines that do permit the connection of CPAP machines to their airplane’s AC power however the trend appears to be heading towards not permitting it.

Perhaps this might be a matter of some importance to CPAP users who take long flights and wish to sleep comfortably and safely on a plane.

Note:
The S9 data sheet also contains the following statement: 
“Medical-Portable Electronic Devices (M-PED) that meet the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements of RTCA/DO-160 can be used during all phases of air travel without further testing or approval by the airline operator. ResMed confirms that the S9 meets RTCA/DO-160 requirements.”
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power
I don't think it has anything pe se to do with current draw. I don't know, but my speculation is that the power on these aircraft are always subject to interruption (though it doesn't often happen) and they are probably worried about being blamed for any interruption. Better you should not plug in to their system and just choke and die than take a 1/10% chance of a power failure and them be held liable for "injury". IMHO, airlines (WN excepted) are all miserable excuses for, well, whatever you hold most contemptible.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Machines On Airplane AC Power
It's "for your protection", as you will be connecting a medical device to the power source that is not fully stable, where voltage and frequency may vary significantly more than from the hydro lines.
They simply don't want that added liability.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remote power button? JohnKoz 8 136 04-18-2024, 01:48 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 204 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,926 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  csa machines cexer 1 141 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 894 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Airsence 10 Date Resets after Power Outrage Khayyam Qaiser 2 253 01-26-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Khayyam Qaiser
  Philips Respironics DreamStation check power Steve Foley 18 22,805 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: zebedee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.