Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP dependency
CPAP dependency
I was asked by a friend if CPAP use becomes a dependency and that you can have issues if you do not use it. Is this true or myth?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP dependency
True in my case. Once you get accustomed to breathing, going back to suffocating sucks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now that I've been quietly using it for almost a year, I think my spouse would threaten to leave if I stopped and started snoring again.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is definitely a dependency. You depend on it to survive.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
If your friend is implying that the device is like an iron lung, or a pacemaker, it's not quite true.  However, the device is meant to vastly improve one's chances of living to a ripe® old(er) age than would otherwise be likely.  The device simply improves oxygenation...period.  One could just as easily claim that once a person begins to take statins that one becomes 'dependent' on them to live.  It's not strictly true.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW one of my recent medical office visits, I was given a visit summary. It listed above my medication list that I'm dependant on BPAP/ASV for sleep breathing. I can say if dependant means I can't do without it, then I am, because I'll never sleep well without. I'll even going so far to state it's not safe to sleep for me without the ASV & mask.

PS It's not that I'm necessarily dependant on the machine, it's that I'm rather addicted to breathing oxygen.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me it's kind of like my seatbelt in my car. If I try to drive without it, it just doesn't feel right. I am like that with my apap machine. I know I'll be breathing in suffocating motions all night. I never notice it like my wife does but just knowing that it will happen makes me reach for my mask automatically each night.
Post Reply Post Reply
when you start cpap you are on it for the rest of your life. apnea does not have a cure so you should never stop using it. so yes it's a dependency. it's a dependency that i'm glad i have.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
yes, we are dependent on the machines to breathe better than without the machine. we will revert to periods of not breathing without the machine so yes you can have issues not using it.

however, I read the OP to be asking a slightly different question: does use of pap lead to a further weakening of our native respiratory capability which will cause problems above and beyond the problems we had before treatment? can pap make our pre-treatment condition worse if/when we go without pap? I've never seen a definitive answer to this question and I am curious about it. but as a practical matter I guess it really doesn't matter since we're dependent anyway as long as we don't want to revert to our pre-treatment condition (or worse if pap use does actually weaken our native respiratory ability).but
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2018, 01:11 PM)sheepless Wrote: yes, we are dependent on the machines to breathe better than without the machine.  we will revert to periods of not breathing without the machine so yes you can have issues not using it.  

however, I read the OP to be asking a slightly different question:  does use of pap lead to a further weakening of our native respiratory capability which will cause problems above and beyond the problems we had before treatment?  can pap make our pre-treatment condition worse if/when we go without pap?  I've never seen a definitive answer to this question and I am curious about it.  but as a practical matter I guess it really doesn't matter since we're dependent anyway as long as we don't want to revert to our pre-treatment condition (or worse if pap use does actually weaken our native respiratory ability).but

If anything it strengthens your respiratory system due to exhaling under pressure. It's the reason why some feel muscle ache in the diaphragm when first starting out.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.