Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP disposal
CPAP disposal
Having obtained an Airsense 10, and having my S9 ready for backup and travel, I'm wondering how people dispose of unwanted machines? I understand that they are a prescription item and can't be given away. So, should old machines just be trashed? The old M series model isn't wanted anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP disposal
Depends upon your local laws. In most metro areas, they have electronic waste roundups.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2016, 10:09 PM)justMongo Wrote: Depends upon your local laws. In most metro areas, they have electronic waste roundups.

I'll just call a local provider and see what is usually done here.
Post Reply Post Reply
If i knew a friend with apnea and a prescription id gift it to em.
Pretty sure you can give stuff you own away as you see fit
Post Reply Post Reply
you could see if Supplier #2 would want to buy your cpap. otherwise they have a program for donating cpaps to the needy. worth checking out I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-25-2016, 01:12 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote: If i knew a friend with apnea and a prescription id gift it to em.
Pretty sure you can give stuff you own away as you see fit

The BATF&E has a different opinion regarding certain types of personal property.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
A serviceable older machine can be given to charity, a friend or sold for a few bucks so someone gets what they need, at a price they can afford. The police won't show up at your door, you made someone happy with a free or good deal, and you get to feel good, or spend some beer money. Any of the above options makes more sense than trashing or e-wasting a useful device. If your conscientious bothers you, leave it in the closet or hit it with a hammer and do the e-waste thing. Your loss.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gasparama,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Before you toss the old machine, you might check with Supplier #2 and see if they will take it.
Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-24-2016, 08:45 PM)gasparama Wrote: Having obtained an Airsense 10, and having my S9 ready for backup and travel, I'm wondering how people dispose of unwanted machines? I understand that they are a prescription item and can't be given away. So, should old machines just be trashed? The old M series model isn't wanted anymore.

You could list it on Craig's list as a giveaway (be sure to list the machine hours). You can SHOW the person how to change the settings, but you technically cannot change the settings for him/her. If nobody wants it after a month, then just bring it wherever you would bring your old microwave for recycling.

Post Reply Post Reply
Donate it to a not-for-profit hospital affiliated sleep practice. They always have indigent patients that they want to get onto CPAP who are un or underinsured. You can get a tax deduction and put the machine to good use.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.