Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] dry mouth
Question 
dry mouth
I am currently using a hybrid mask. Any thoughts on keeping my mouth moisturized during the night?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: dry mouth
Hi reasterlin1953,
Are you using your humidifier, if so, how high do you have it set?
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 01:46 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi reasterlin1953,
Are you using your humidifier, if so, how high do you have it set?
I have it set on 80.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to use nasal pillows but my nose stays stopped up, so I switched to the hybrid.With a strip of panty hose to hold the pillows in place it works very well.I Have set my humidifer on 80. I used to have it set on 85.
Post Reply Post Reply
It sounds like you have a climateline hose and are using it in auto mode. If so, you need to raise the temp in order to raise the absolute humidity, which may be enough to reduce your dry mouth.

I have never used a hybrid mask but it seems to me that if you plugged the mouthpiece so you could not breathe through your mouth, this should take care of the dry mouth.

If none of the above work for you, then you could try to train yourself to nasal breathe only. Even if you are not completely successful, you may reduce the mouth breathing enough to eliminate the dry mouth. I use a FFM because I leak air through my mouth with any other type of mask. The FFM gave me improved therapy but I was still getting dry mouth at times due to the air leaking out of my mouth.

The thing that you need to do to eliminate mouth breathing is to form a closed valve using your tongue. if you put your tongue up against the roof of your mouth and apply a little suction to the back of your throat, your tongue is now in the correct position to close off your mouth from the rest of your airway. I practice this technique every night during the time between when I go to bed and when I fall asleep. I have been successful enough with it that together with a fair amount of humidity, I seldom, if ever, have dry mouth.

Good luck to you and happy PAPing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 02:38 PM)reasterlin1953 Wrote: I used to use nasal pillows but my nose stays stopped up, so I switched to the hybrid.With a strip of panty hose to hold the pillows in place it works very well.I Have set my humidifer on 80. I used to have it set on 85.
Hi reasterlin1953,
I get a little confused, I think humidity and temperature can be run separately, you say you have yours set to 80, but on your humidity setting, there is a setting of 1 through 6, where is that set?
Sorry about the confusion.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a PR System One. I turned off the System One Humidifier Control and run it on temp only. It gets a little warmer. I have dry mouth, but can't figure how to keep my jaw shut as yet. In the meantime, I have a bottle of water handy for a quick gulp. I can go back to sleep if I don't spend too much time thinking about what to do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 01:03 PM)reasterlin1953 Wrote: I am currently using a hybrid mask. Any thoughts on keeping my mouth moisturized during the night?
Your machine can be put on Manual to separate the hose temp from the humidity. This will allow you to increase the amount of humidity you get.

One issue you might have though is by increasing humidity you tank may run out before the night though.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for all the suggestions.I'll give them all a try and let you know what works.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 9 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,079 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.