Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health
CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health
  • Any suggestions on reducing dry mouth from CPAP usage (mask is nasal AND with mouth taping so mouth breathing should not be a contributory factor for me)?
  • I found this article helpful and will try the various Xylitol products; and perhaps hydrating more in the evening but might lead to more sleep interruption for bathroom break.
    https://azdentist.com/cpap-dry-mouth-symptoms/

• While I have my humidity level fairly high on machine ... any speculation on trade offs of increasing humidity and perhaps reducing dry mouth versus the downsides of increased rain out?
  • I just returned from routine dental cleaning and xrays and have 3 significant cavities due I expect to CPAP induced dry mouth and its contribution to tooth decay and gum disease. This was first time I was made aware of this and my sleep doctor had provided no cautions about it. While most internet search on the link gives hits from dentists who have some conflict of interest in their comments especially if they offer alternatives to CPAP; nonetheless, I believe the correlation(/ causation) is probably valid.

Thanks for contributing to this thread ... forum search did not show up prior discussion that I could find easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP, dry mouth, and poor oral health
In my limited experience, and I caution the reader to remember I am an n of but 1, it is only when I sleep on my back and my jaw is allowed to sag more than it does when I sleep on either side, that the pressure (8 in my case) will inflate my cheeks substantially. For some reason, it doesn't always happen for me, but when I am falling asleep as I often do on my back, my jaw sags and my cheeks balloon.  This is my cue to turn onto either side and to slip into blissful rest.

Dry mouth, from what I have read, is not a desirable state because it smells and feels bad, probably for two people in the former instance, and it isn't good for dental caries. 

If your humidity is already quite high, then I don't see the benefit of yet more humidity if your mouth gets inflated and your checks and gums dry out.  Unless you can find a way to almost saturate the air passing into you, you're simply not going to get enough to wet your whistle...as it were.
Post Reply Post Reply
The key is keeping the mouth closed. I did look at the article. (I personally do not know anyone who got dry mouth using a CPAP machine, (without having mouth open.)

It is important to keep mouth closed for the air to keep airways open. I may be wrong, but in my mind increasing humidity to prevent dry mouth from an open mouth, you are not getting proper CPAP treatment.

I do not use any humidification without an issue. (Humidification was causing stuffy nose for me.)

I taped at the beginning. I ended up with jaw issues, from clenching mouth to keep lips closed. I had bought a mask for colds that covers mouth and has prongs for the nose; I ended up using all the time instead of my nasal pillow.

There are various chin straps. I have seen a post with a mouth cover. If I find the thread, I will post it.

I assume there was no dry mouth issue pre CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used to sleep well with my mouth closed. Now I don't
So I've used a bunch of chinstraps including the Knightsbridge Dual Band cap.
I've taped my mouth some nights, off and on.
I am claustrophobic. However, about 4 months ago I bought an F&P Evora Full hoping it would work. I've probably worn it 7 nights total. The good news is I can keep it on. The bad news is the high leakage rates I've experienced. Now if I wake up and hear leaks I just put on a nasal mask. So I don't use it.

Point is the exercise with tongue-against-the-roof of my mouth doesn't work for me anymore. At 75 I think my body is rejecting this cpap thing.
And if I can't keep my mouth sealed cpap therapy isn't working.

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
I also don't have any issue with dry month from the cpap, even with a full face mask (F20).

Just a warning about Xylitol...
It is known to have a laxative effect. Some people are more sensitive than others, just be aware if you experience GI discomfort too much Xylitol is a likely culprit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to all who have commented so far ... my focus is on as stated in OP 

• Any suggestions on reducing dry mouth from CPAP usage (mask is nasal AND with mouth taping so mouth breathing should not be a contributory factor for me)?

Am aware of side effects of Xyitol, thanks @Brazen.
    I also like DaveL gave FFM F&P Evora Full but with many large leaks, but will experiment again in time.

• ResMed https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea...dry-mouth/ 
    "If you’ve ever felt dry mouth when you take your CPAP mask off in the morning, you’re not alone. Roughly 40% of patients on CPAP therapy experience dry mouth, 1 which can cause various side effects including headaches, dizziness, bad breath, coughing and difficulty talking or eating.

Below are the three main causes of dry mouth:"

For those in this thread who do not exp dry mouth with CPAP count your blessings as there are perhaps only 60% of you!

Three are 1) Medications and other conditions 2) Non-heated air 3) Severe mask leak (and/or mouth breathing)
    The only that apply to me are 1) aging but did not have dry mouth 1.5 years ago prior to CPAP so don't think is significant cause.  3) while mouth breathing had been cause/issue since early August proper mouth taping has virtually eliminated that and even on nights when large leaks are close to zero, dry mouth continues. Thus I am seeking other interventions. (Since I am at times a mouth breather taping to me seems preferable to FFM as with latter more air would be inhaled and exhaled via mouth which I'd expect would dry mouth out even if FFM supports treatment and is preferred by some to chin strap, cervical collar, taping.) I am experimenting with more hydration in evening which does help but reduces sleep quality as increases bathroom break from 1 to 2.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've had two occasions, one in each of the last two years, where damage to my teeth has been severe (and expensive) VERY likely as a result of my 5.5 years on CPAP (and now ASV).  The doctors are familiar with the phenomenon, but have had just one recommendation; I now brush with a prescription grade fluoride toothpaste to try to attack tooth decay that way.  I'll post again on the topic when I have some historical data.  Right now, I'm in the middle of a crown failure with tooth root infections.  If anyone knows how to solve the dry mouth problem, please POST!
Post Reply Post Reply
My personal experience has been that the CPAP humidified air is a plus over room air in the desert SW where I live. I turn up the humidity to just below rainout (6 for me) and actually have less dry mouth when I use a full face mask rather than a nasal (or none), as any oral airflow is then also conditioned by the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-23-2022, 04:22 PM)RainbowFish Wrote: ... actually have less dry mouth when I use a full face mask rather than a nasal (or none), as any oral airflow is then also conditioned by the machine.
Thank you for your comment and it motivates me to again experiment with FFM which I gave only very short trial and hope that with perseverance that the many large leaks might be conquered. If others with dry mouth have also experienced better exp (versus nasal or pillows but with taping or collar to prevent mouth breathing) then I'd love to hear about that (OR contrary exp. that dry mouth was exacerbated by FFM).

FWIW it my new dental hygienist that had asked me about dry mouth and then CPAP. What she had learned/been taught is that CPAP for some leads to less saliva production while sleeping, and saliva production when sufficient creates poorer environment for bacteria and ensuing decay and/or gum disease. To the extent that that statement is true then a FFM with humidified air while it might help with a dry mouth by humidifying it, unless it also supports better sleeping saliva production might only have positive benefit on the former. But proof for me will be in experimenting trying to vary only one element of sleep at a time.
Post Reply Post Reply
In reading these posts, and your humidity level is set to high, just wondering if you are running out of water or almost empty before morning?

If you are out of water before you wake up or very low, you would be breathing the extra warm air without humidity, which could a factor to your dry month issues.

Maybe try turning the humidifier down to a lower setting or if you are using a heated tube, set that setting lower.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 32 8 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 373 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 316 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Gut Absorbtion Health? Zoltyzolt 0 90 03-21-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Zoltyzolt
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,079 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.