Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP dry mouth & gum disease ?!
Question 
CPAP dry mouth & gum disease ?!
I just got back from the dentist and I have developed a generalized gum problem (inflammation, bleeding gums, etc) out of the blue after years of stable checkups.

The dental hygenist was convinced the CPAP dry mouth behavior was to blame. Have you ever heard of this elsewhere?

Besides increasing the humidity, is there anything else I can do to save my freaking teeth?

many thanks,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP dry mouth & gum disease ?!
What kind of leak data are you seeing? Dry mouth is not a normal consequence of CPAP, but I'm not so familiar with hybrid masks like you're using. It's possible you are primarily breathing through the mouth? Have you considered a chinstrap?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 02:44 PM)bazder Wrote: I just got back from the dentist and I have developed a generalized gum problem (inflammation, bleeding gums, etc) out of the blue after years of stable checkups.

The dental hygenist was convinced the CPAP dry mouth behavior was to blame. Have you ever heard of this elsewhere?

Besides increasing the humidity, is there anything else I can do to save my freaking teeth?

many thanks,

Chronic dry mouth leads to gum disease (per my dentist). Do whatever you have to do to address mouth breathing if that is the case.

Besides the above, use an oral rinse before bed, like Biotene or Act Total Dry Mouth rinse.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have chronic dry mouth, that can certainly cause gingivitis / gum disease. I used to have mild gingivitis, but it actually improved with CPAP therapy. It sounds like you are breathing mostly through the mouth and/or humidity isn't high enough.

Have you ever considered trying a nasal cushion or pillow mask, coupled with a chinstrap? I never have issues with mouth breathing or dry mouth in my setup.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 02:44 PM)bazder Wrote: The dental hygenist was convinced the CPAP dry mouth behavior was to blame. Have you ever heard of this elsewhere?
CPAP or no CPAP, if you sleep with your mouth open, will dry your mouth
Humidity is a personal thing, some need more moisture than others, experiment and see what works best for you, everyone is different
The best thing for dry mouth prevention is to have a good sealing mask and keep mouth closed, but not possible with full face mask, unless one keep mouth closed and breathe only through the nose, in this case might be better option using nasal or nasal pillows mask with a chinstrap or/and ace bandage. Keep hydrated and Biotene mouth wash helps

At time in the early hours in the morning, I catch myself with mouth open and wake up with dry mouth but only last for a short time, by the time washed and made the tea, is gone
For me, tend to breathe through mouth, when my nose get stuffy and blocking CPAP air passing through
I find saline sinus rinse (bottle or neti pot) helps clearing the nose ... YMMV

Post Reply Post Reply
I can get very dry mouth towards the end of a cpap sleep session. I start exhausting (not just exhaling, but more a steady stream of air) a lot of mornings.

After the back of my throat gets dried out, it's much more difficult to keep a seal. Like trying to get two pieces of sandpaper to seal, compared to getting two pieces of gel to seal.

Better if I can keep it from drying out at all. Or just ending the session early instead of trying to power through the last couple of hours anyway. I'm usually not awake enough to cut it off, and just keep trying to reseal and go back to sleep, rinse and repeat until the alarm goes off. After I'm up and conscious, then I realize I should have cut it off, gotten a drink, or something.

A bit of coconut oil before going to sleep helps. I make up small cubes (the oil solidifies in the refrigerator) ahead of time in a silicone tray, pop them out and keep them in a covered bowl in the refrigerator. Letting one melt, swishing it around, etc. right before sleep helps me keep my mouth and throat hydrated longer. I forget more often than I remember. Need to make it a habit. After I'm all suited up though, if I remember it then, I usually won't get back up and go to the kitchen to get the cube. And I can't keep them sitting beside the bed because they'll melt.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2016, 05:44 PM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: A bit of coconut oil before going to sleep helps. I make up small cubes (the oil solidifies in the refrigerator) ahead of time in a silicone tray, pop them out and keep them in a covered bowl in the refrigerator. Letting one melt, swishing it around, etc. right before sleep helps me keep my mouth and throat hydrated longer. I forget more often than I remember. Need to make it a habit. After I'm all suited up though, if I remember it then, I usually won't get back up and go to the kitchen to get the cube. And I can't keep them sitting beside the bed because they'll melt.

Interesting... I've heard of people swishing with coconut oil as a hygiene routine, but never as a hydrating routine. Guess it makes sense - kind of like lotion for the mouth and throat! Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a chinstrap with my Simplus full face mask. It keeps my lips together just enough to prevent the dry mouth I had before with the same mask. For me even the highest humidity still left my mouth dry, but the chinstrap has fixed that very nicely.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Try XyliMelts. My dentist suggested that I try them, and they work well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 33 10 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 374 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.