Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP during Pregnancy
CPAP during Pregnancy
So I'm pregnant and doctors told me that using my CPAP was really important, especially during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. They didn't tell me if I would need to make any adjustments (pressure changes, etc.).

I'm still in my 1st trimester and so far I haven't been able to use the machine much, if at all... I guess everything is just more sensitive so my skin around the mask gets really itchy and I just can't stand it. I can feel the air tickling my nose hairs and the mask just always feels uncomfortable. There's that, plus one of my symptoms is stuffy nose, and when my nose is even slightly blocked, using the machine gives me anxiety.

So, after a couple weeks of just using it 2-4 hours a night, I've just given up using it. For now, I feel like I'm sleeping okay (not good), but I know that I'm going to need to start using again, sooner rather than later if baby and I are going to get through the next 7 months.

Any tips on getting back on board compliance-wise?
Also, any idea how pregnancy affects sleep-apnea and vice-versa?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP during Pregnancy
trim your nose hairs for a start.
Post Reply Post Reply
Find another mask you can better tolerate. There are hundred to choose from.

Then ASK YOUR BABY IF he/she minds going without oxygen now and then.

Do whatever it takes to use your XPAP every night whenever you sleep, The baby's life and future health and well being may depend on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congratulations on your pregnancy. The advice given above is sound and I would take it as well meaning concern for you and your baby. I been using cpap for over 15 years and I know it's not easy. It is a matter of finding what works for you. It's also a step-wise process that requires patience and persistence. I would use this forum as an adjunct to professional medical advice.

I would ask your doctor about the skin sensitivity, stuffy nose, and the anxiety. You might need a safe sleep aid to get you comfortable with sleeping with cpap. I'm just not sure.

There's plenty of advice on masks and cpap settings on the forum. I would try to figure out exactly what is bothering you with the P10. Is it the fit, stuffy feeling, nose irritation, or leaks?

Come back to the forum with additional info about your concerns. I know I'm not much help, but there's a wealth of experience and knowledge here for the asking. Others will chime in.

You need to treat cpap as if your life depends on it; because it does. A quality life for you and your baby.

Good luck,
Steve

Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 09:15 PM)Geniale Wrote: So I'm pregnant and doctors told me that using my CPAP was really important, especially during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. They didn't tell me if I would need to make any adjustments (pressure changes, etc.).

I'm still in my 1st trimester and so far I haven't been able to use the machine much, if at all... I guess everything is just more sensitive so my skin around the mask gets really itchy and I just can't stand it. I can feel the air tickling my nose hairs and the mask just always feels uncomfortable. There's that, plus one of my symptoms is stuffy nose, and when my nose is even slightly blocked, using the machine gives me anxiety.

So, after a couple weeks of just using it 2-4 hours a night, I've just given up using it. For now, I feel like I'm sleeping okay (not good), but I know that I'm going to need to start using again, sooner rather than later if baby and I are going to get through the next 7 months.

Thanks

First off, congratulations on your pregnancy.
Google Cpap usage and pregnancy....you will find many helpful articles.

I am not a doctor, so I'm giving you advice based on personal and family experiences. The first three months are crucial to your babies development.
You may think your sleeping well without your Cpap, but you more than likely stop breathing many times during the night, which decreases the amount of oxygen you receive, and in turn deprives your baby needed oxygen to grow and develop properly.

Take this serious, if not for yourself, then for the child you are carrying.

There are many things to try to get back on board.
If your mask isn't working for you, try another.
Talk to your doctor. Your pressure settings may not be optimal for you.

This is an important time to touch base with your doctor about your concerns.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 09:15 PM)Geniale Wrote: So I'm pregnant and doctors told me that using my CPAP was really important, especially during the 2nd and 3rd trimesters. They didn't tell me if I would need to make any adjustments (pressure changes, etc.).

Congrats on the pregnancy.
Try the dreamwear mask. I have tried about every kind out there and it seems to be the least bothersome to me anyway.
Don't give up.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2016, 09:15 PM)Geniale Wrote: So I'm pregnant and doctors told me that using my CPAP was really important......

Thanks

Hello Geniale,

Congratulations! on the pregnancy, hope everything goes really well.

From what I understand it is especially important to continue CPAP treatment during pregnancy, indeed to use it every night. There are some extra risks for both you and the baby if you have untreated (or inadequately treated) sleep apnoea while pregnant.

There's quite a lot of useful information on the web, including some forums with posts from pregnant women with sleep apnoea. You might want to Google-search variants of 'CPAP' 'apnoea' and 'pregnancy'. For example, there's a useful article here:
https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics...-and-sleep

So - let's try and help you with compliance so that you can get back on regular CPAP very soon and comfortably continue at least for the next however-many months! You mention a couple of nasal 'annoyances'? and you use nasal pillows. I'd recommend you try a facial mask which would reduce the contact with your nostrils, both physical and the air flow. This will mean you can breathe through your mouth when your nose is blocked, which should reduce the anxiety you describe. There are of course very many masks to choose from, and lots of information about them on this forum. I can recommend the Simplus (very comfortable) - but what suits me might not suit you. You could visit your equipment supplier to try out some facial masks (I don't know the arrangements for 'try and return' for masks in Canada - but some one else on the forum is likely to know and chip in with information).

Itchy skin around your mask might be sorted if you use a liner with a facial mask e.g. the Remzzzs liners (or make your own with thin knitted 100% cotton T-shirt material). Many people have found them useful for both leaks and skin irritation.

As you will know, exposure to medications should be avoided if at all possible during pregnancy but your doctor could help you find a safe nasal spray to improve the stuffiness, even perhaps some (perhaps homeopathic) treatment to help you get to sleep in the first place and so to tolerate a mask. At least your pressures at the moment aren't so high that you would feel airflow discomfort from them.

Please let us know how you get on and if there is anything else anyone on the forum can help with - but for your health and your baby's health, try to keep going with CPAP for most of each night.

Best wishes

…………………………………………………………

My current pressures: Auto-ASV. EPAP 11-15. PS 3-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Geniale,
CONGRATULATIONS on your pregnancy.!
Try as many masks 'till you find one that you are able to wear, so you can get better sleep for you and your baby.
Good luck to you and try REAL hard to use your CPAP machine and mask every night for you and your little one.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.