Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP during surgery
CPAP during surgery
Has anyone here ever been able to use their cpap machine during surgery? While talking with the scheduling nurse yesterday in regard to my upcoming procedure, she mentioned that the hospital may well ask me to bring my own machine with me to use in the OR as I will be having a spinal anesthetic unless otherwise directed. If you have used your own machine during hospitalization, did you use the distilled water in the humidifier or use the machine w/o the water? I'm thinking that many times the OR staff would not understand about not tipping the machine while it has water in it. But then again, maybe I'm over thinking this whole situation. Unsure
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP during surgery
Hospital policies vary, and many require machines to be certified to work on their electrical systems. The use of an unsterilized machine, hose and mask in a sterile operating suite would also be an issue at some hospitals. Many would say if you need ventilation support that an anesthesiologist would be required to supervise breathing support.

You have apparently come across a more casual and friendly situation. I would not over-think this. If you will be using spinal block, you may or may not sleep during the procedure. You might be more comfortable sleeping with the CPAP. Put a functional, but not over-filled amount of water in the reservoir and I'm sure it will be fine. Personally, I have used a machine in recovery, but never in the surgical section. Never heard of someone tipping a machine or damaging it. Most of these people are highly trained, experienced, and pretty darned careful in moving patients and equipment.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The person to speak to is the anesthesiologist, not the scheduling nurse. That doc is king when it comes to what is going on while you are being operated on or whatever. If you are fully asleep during the procedure and you have sleep apnea, they may choose to intubate vs use the CPAP.

CPAP during surgery is rare due to the sterility and electricity issues. Someone from maintenance will need to see your machine ahead of time to make sure it does not have any shorts in the electricity. Someone from respiratory therapy may want to see you to make sure it is "set up right". This is why they tend to intubate during surgery and use the CPAP during recovery.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I had a hip replacement the anesthesiologist was made aware that I had sleep apnea and took care of that during the surgery and in the recovery room. I had a spinal block with light sedation (Versed?) My sleep doctor told me to make sure that the anesthesiologist knew about my apnea.
I was in the hospital for two nights and used my CPAP machine. The hospital furnished a small jug of distilled water.
They wanted me to be on oxygen for the first night but dropped that requirement when they saw that my O2 level was okay when the CPAP machine was on.
I am having a knee replacement in Aug and this time I am taking an adapter that will allow them to plug their oxygen tube into my CPAP tube. My wife uses oxygen with her BiPAP and I am using one of her adapters.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a knee replacement and the anesthesiologist took care of my air support during surgery. I had explained to the hospital staff pulmonologist that I had OSA but my CPAP was not adjusted to the correct pressure due to an invalid titration (this was years ago before autoset and before I learned how to make the adjustments myself). He said bring it along and the staff RTs would adjust it for me. I brought my CPAP but they opted to have the staff RT set me up with one of theirs during recovery complete with a little oxygen. They set it to a level I suggested and it worked well. After that I went back to the pulmonologist to redo the sleep studies and get a more modern machine, which at that time was the ResMed Elite II.
Anyway, just make sure the Docs know and they will take care of you.
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I had my back surgery I advised them of my CPAP use and was told it was not a problem. Anesthesiologist said it would not be a problem during surgery as I would be face down as they were working on my back. I was told to bring my mask for use when I stayed the night. However, my mask didn't fit their system so I went without (you don't sleep in the hospital anyways). The did put a wireless oximeter on my finger to monitor my oxygen levels. The respiratory tech said we would watch it and then come up with a plan if it drop below their limits (which it never did). I spent most of the night with the head of the bed part way up either reading or doing crossword puzzles with an occasional long blink.

So the point of this is advise your medical team that you have one and then let them take the necessary steps. I would never take my machine into the OR or the hospital as their is too much of a chance of bringing an infection home with you.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP after recovery, yes. During the procedure, no. For my procedure last year, the Dr. encouraged me to bring my equipment and use it when I got to my room. An RT needed to attach a port to the hose to add Oxygen to the mix, but as with a previous poster, once they saw my O2 levels going up past 92% when on the machine, the O2 was stopped.
Post Reply Post Reply
During my last surgery, I made sure told everyone about sleep apnea, especially the anesthetist, he is the one responsible for me coming out from the surgery breathing again

You'll need CPAP after the surgery
Good idea to teach partner or family member whats to bring you to the hospital and where everything is kept
Make a list, an extension cord can be handy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,221 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  After major surgery Issues DANNOGA 5 249 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 30 1,951 01-27-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 706 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Very frustrated after radiofrequency tongue base reduction surgery phitom816 4 1,361 12-03-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Too Sleepy
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 417 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  Tonsillectomy and UPPP surgery Jen0628jen 3 596 11-02-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.