Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] 10 yr CPAP User - Need new Equipment?
10 yr CPAP User - Need new Equipment?
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea about 10 years ago and have been using a Resmed S9 with Humidifier and climate hose since. At a certain point I realized that it was cheaper and easier to get new masks and hoses where I could then go through doctor's appointments and DRMs.  I use the lightest nasal masks I can find.

I got really ill four years ago with a painful nerve disorder that is known for disordered sleep studies indicate it is due to the fight or flight system (sympathetic nervous system) being stuck in the on position.  Along with 24/7 pain, exhaustion/fatigue is one of my most debilitating symptoms.  I need to make sure that my sleep apnea is well treated so that it doesn't contribute to my already disordered sleep.

I've been using the same ResMed machine for about 10 years and I noticed it got cracked in the corner opposite the humidifier chamber. I'm also finding that in Arizona where it is hot and dry  even with a humidifier and a climate hose doesn't make the air humid enough to be comfortable. I'm at the point where I need a new machine and I want to do it the least expensive - least hassle way.  Here are my current thoughts/wishes/questions for which I would appreciate thoughts, opinions, and corrections.

Thinking-about At this time is CPAP/APAP treatment still the most effective for most sleep apnea sufferers?  Not wearing a mask but still having my apnea treated properly would be the most comfortable way to sleep

Thinking-about Do those of you that live in really dry climates find that humidifiers and climate hoses, etc don't help enough? Any fix for this?

Thinking-about It logically seems like an APAP machine would be more comfortable than a CPAP machine as it adjusts its pressure to the breathing of the user. Does it also need less adjustments?

I'm worried that going through all the hoops of appointments, sleep studies (home or clinic)and DRMs will be a drain on my already low energy and finances. I have insurance but it has a large deductible and I would likely need to pay for everything anyway (at a lower rate given to insurance.)  Plus will I have to fight doctors and insurance to get an APAP or whatever else I need?

Thinking-about Is there a way for me to bypass all that hassle and find a way to get an APAP machine without expensive appointments and studies?  Is this an unwise thing to do considering everything?

I honestly just want to try to get new equipment with the least amount of hassle and expense.   

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 10 yr CPAP User - Need new Equipment?
By any chance do you have a copy of your prescription? That would really simplify the process. Getting an APAP is more a matter of you insisting on it than anything else. There are some really low hour used machines out there. I would for sure get the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset. It is according to many the best auto cpap on the market
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-21-2019, 10:30 AM)Answers to your questions Wrote: I
 Thinking-about At this time is CPAP/APAP treatment still the most effective for most sleep apnea sufferers?  Not wearing a mask but still having my apnea treated properly would be the most comfortable way to sleep Yes, it is still the gold standard.

Thinking-about Do those of you that live in really dry climates find that humidifiers and climate hoses, etc don't help enough? Any fix for this?
There are several active members who live in Arizona. Hopefully one of them will respond.

Thinking-about It logically seems like an APAP machine would be more comfortable than a CPAP machine as it adjusts its pressure to the breathing of the user. Does it also need less adjustments?  Yes, it is usually more effective but it requires more adjustment of settings. We can help with that. It's not difficult. The best choice is the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset.

I'm worried that going through all the hoops of appointments, sleep studies (home or clinic)and DRMs will be a drain on my already low energy and finances. I have insurance but it has a large deductible and I would likely need to pay for everything anyway (at a lower rate given to insurance.)  Plus will I have to fight doctors and insurance to get an APAP or whatever else I need? As Bonjour stated, all you need is a prescription. If you don't have your prescription see if your primary care Dr. will write one since you are already on CPAP.

Thinking-about Is there a way for me to bypass all that hassle and find a way to get an APAP machine without expensive appointments and studies?  Is this an unwise thing to do considering everything? Many bypass the system to get machines and supplies. Are you getting supplies from a DME now? Check your insurance copays. It could still be the less expensive route.

I honestly just want to try to get new equipment with the least amount of hassle and expense.   

Thank you!
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
10 years is a long time, you are overdue for a new machine. Depending on what your insurance deductibles are, you may be better off buying on your own.

I would be remiss if I didn’t ask what your current AHI is? Are you able to post a screenshot of your daily page? Follow the links below in my signature line. This will help you organize your chart and then use the attachment feature to post here.

If you have just plain vanilla OSA, then a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is a good suggestion.
In that case, Supplier #2 (where they sell low hour used and also open box new units) is a good starting point. (You would need your perscription.)
Supplier #33 has good prices too.

But if you have Central Sleep Apnea, the typical AutoSet machine won’t treat it.
I would hate to see you spend $ only to be on the wrong type machine.

So with that said, letting us see some recent data would help us guide you.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in N. AZ. I have an ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. Mine has a heated hose, but it's always turned off and I have my climate control on manual, with the humidity level set at 2 or 3. I don't have any rain out issues that I'm aware of. 

I seem to do okay with my settings. I tried it one night w/o any humidity and I didn't like it. I was prescribed the 10 AutoSet right from the get go. I'm very happy with it and how it functions.
Post Reply Post Reply
The best way to proceed would be to download OSCAR from https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/,
getting familiar with it by organizing the charts properly at http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
and posting some charts so we can see if an Autoset if enough or if you need something else.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,368 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 1,934 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 941 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,546 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 266 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 521 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 362 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.