sleepybeaver Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: A 10 autoset
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: airfit p10
Humidifier: built-in , with climate line
CPAP Pressure: 6 to 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: I'm not really a prist...and my wife is not a nun....Halloween Costumes

Sex: Male

eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9
When I had my sleep study done I was told I stoped breathing an a average of 29.9 times per hr. And my oxygen level went from 98% to 63%. With the cpap it's reporting eph of 1.5 to 0.9. Is this normal. Why would it go from 29.2 eph without a cpap to 1.5 eph with a cpap. I don't understand.

It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
05-25-2015 07:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
DeepBreathing Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: EPAP: 9 - 15 PS: 3 - 10
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9
Hi Sleepybeaver, welcome to Apnea Board. The fact that your events have dropped from 29 to around 1 is proof that the CPAP is working for you. Its whole purpose is to provide air pressure which supports your airway and prevents apneas happening.

There are two basic types of events - apneas, when your breathing is fully obstructed for 10 seconds or more, and hypopneas, when the airflow is substantially reduced. The average number of apneas per hour is the apnea index (AI) and the average number of hypopneas is the hypopnea index (HI). Adding the two together gives the apnea - hypopnea index (AHI) which is the main measure that's used. The target is to get AHI below 5, so your numbers are already looking very good.

DeepBreathing
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Bed

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-25-2015 07:59 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi sleepybeaver,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
05-25-2015 09:49 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
sleepybeaver Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments: I'm not really a prist...and my wife is not a nun....Halloween Costumes

(05-25-2015 07:59 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:  Hi Sleepybeaver, welcome to Apnea Board. The fact that your events have dropped from 29 to around 1 is proof that the CPAP is working for you. Its whole purpose is to provide air pressure which supports your airway and prevents apneas happening.

There are two basic types of events - apneas, when your breathing is fully obstructed for 10 seconds or more, and hypopneas, when the airflow is substantially reduced. The average number of apneas per hour is the apnea index (AI) and the average number of hypopneas is the hypopnea index (HI). Adding the two together gives the apnea - hypopnea index (AHI) which is the main measure that's used. The target is to get AHI below 5, so your numbers are already looking very good.
Thanks deepbreathing.....I have only been using the cpap for about a week. I'm already feeling less clouded and woke up this morning and asked my wife if she wanted to go on a bike ride. We went 11 miles and I feel like I have more engery...but I still wake up and yawn fir a little while in the morning. Is that normal. Thanks

05-25-2015 10:05 AM
Terry Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Philips Respironics RemStar Auto with A-Flex (560P)
Mask Make & Model: P/R Nuance & Pap Cap
Humidifier: Integrated
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

(05-25-2015 10:05 AM)sleepybeaver Wrote:  Thanks deepbreathing.....I have only been using the cpap for about a week. I'm already feeling less clouded and woke up this morning and asked my wife if she wanted to go on a bike ride. We went 11 miles and I feel like I have more engery...but I still wake up and yawn fir a little while in the morning. Is that normal. Thanks

After you've had the machine for a while, you can check the "90%" or "95%" pressure (some machines report one or the other) and set your minimum pressure a little below that.

When the machine has to ramp up from it's current minimum setting of 4, to whatever it takes to keep you breathing, the change in pressure will sometimes disturb your sleep.

If you raise the minimum to a little less than where it tends to go every night, it has less of a range to cover and should disturb your sleep less and you'll feel better in the morning.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 11:29 AM by Terry.)
05-25-2015 11:29 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
quiescence at last Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: REMstar System One with Autoflex
Mask Make & Model: Quattro AirFit F10
Humidifier: yes typical setting = 4
CPAP Pressure: 5-13 Autotritrating CPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: CMS-50F Plus oximeter /w SPO2 Assistant software. Avowed mouth-breather switching to nose-breathing

sure. it is normal to yawn a bit, and it is also normal to feel sleepy when you are tired. a new normal sets in after being in treatment for a while. but, some left overs from the old normal may occur initially. it is hard to say that the yawn is part of new normal or just a left over.

your results are great, and recovery sounds like it is already beginning. congrats.

BTW, you might find you will start to crave sleep, not because you are so tired, but because sleep is so nice.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
You'll note I am listed as an Advisory Member. I am honored to be listed as such. See the fine print - Advisory Members as a group provide advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies. Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
05-25-2015 03:27 PM
sleepybeaver Offline

Preferred Members

Thany you for all the responses...I've had a few issues since getting it...first i woke with the pressure staying at 10 without any dropping..so I turned it off then back on and it worked as it should varying between 4 and 10...next problem was the humidifier...woke up stuffy...not dry but too wet...i tried everything and finally got it where it's manageable. ..not perfect but I'm living with it....then the dark vader inspiration noise...I complaned to apera and the Respiratory therapists said she would order me a resmed s9 autoset as this was the one sent home with me for the 3 day titration study. I told her I had no problems with that machine. What does everyone think of that. Anyone else have similar problems with the airsense 10 autoset.Thanks Jim

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2015 07:39 PM by sleepybeaver.)
05-25-2015 07:37 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Comparing AHI between CPAP and For Her Beej 11 426 Yesterday 11:27 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  new to cpap and oxygen worried 8 217 12-02-2016 05:53 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  What are the alternatives to CPAP? boar 26 4,241 12-01-2016 07:56 PM
Last Post: Zorki1c
  Alternatives To Cpap??? harmon k 4 215 12-01-2016 02:42 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 724 207,621 12-01-2016 01:18 AM
Last Post: kirkreid
  Cpap and Vomiting? harmon k 3 210 11-28-2016 12:01 PM
Last Post: nativedancer
  Hypertension and CPAP SleepyBee 5 303 11-23-2016 03:36 PM
Last Post: SleepyBee