Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9
eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9
When I had my sleep study done I was told I stoped breathing an a average of 29.9 times per hr. And my oxygen level went from 98% to 63%. With the cpap it's reporting eph of 1.5 to 0.9. Is this normal. Why would it go from 29.2 eph without a cpap to 1.5 eph with a cpap. I don't understand.
It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: eph before cpap was 29.9 cpap says eph 0.9
Hi Sleepybeaver, welcome to Apnea Board. The fact that your events have dropped from 29 to around 1 is proof that the CPAP is working for you. Its whole purpose is to provide air pressure which supports your airway and prevents apneas happening.

There are two basic types of events - apneas, when your breathing is fully obstructed for 10 seconds or more, and hypopneas, when the airflow is substantially reduced. The average number of apneas per hour is the apnea index (AI) and the average number of hypopneas is the hypopnea index (HI). Adding the two together gives the apnea - hypopnea index (AHI) which is the main measure that's used. The target is to get AHI below 5, so your numbers are already looking very good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sleepybeaver,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hang in there for more answers to your question and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 07:59 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Sleepybeaver, welcome to Apnea Board. The fact that your events have dropped from 29 to around 1 is proof that the CPAP is working for you. Its whole purpose is to provide air pressure which supports your airway and prevents apneas happening.

There are two basic types of events - apneas, when your breathing is fully obstructed for 10 seconds or more, and hypopneas, when the airflow is substantially reduced. The average number of apneas per hour is the apnea index (AI) and the average number of hypopneas is the hypopnea index (HI). Adding the two together gives the apnea - hypopnea index (AHI) which is the main measure that's used. The target is to get AHI below 5, so your numbers are already looking very good.
Thanks deepbreathing.....I have only been using the cpap for about a week. I'm already feeling less clouded and woke up this morning and asked my wife if she wanted to go on a bike ride. We went 11 miles and I feel like I have more engery...but I still wake up and yawn fir a little while in the morning. Is that normal. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2015, 10:05 AM)sleepybeaver Wrote: Thanks deepbreathing.....I have only been using the cpap for about a week. I'm already feeling less clouded and woke up this morning and asked my wife if she wanted to go on a bike ride. We went 11 miles and I feel like I have more engery...but I still wake up and yawn fir a little while in the morning. Is that normal. Thanks

After you've had the machine for a while, you can check the "90%" or "95%" pressure (some machines report one or the other) and set your minimum pressure a little below that.

When the machine has to ramp up from it's current minimum setting of 4, to whatever it takes to keep you breathing, the change in pressure will sometimes disturb your sleep.

If you raise the minimum to a little less than where it tends to go every night, it has less of a range to cover and should disturb your sleep less and you'll feel better in the morning.
Post Reply Post Reply
sure. it is normal to yawn a bit, and it is also normal to feel sleepy when you are tired. a new normal sets in after being in treatment for a while. but, some left overs from the old normal may occur initially. it is hard to say that the yawn is part of new normal or just a left over.

your results are great, and recovery sounds like it is already beginning. congrats.

BTW, you might find you will start to crave sleep, not because you are so tired, but because sleep is so nice.

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thany you for all the responses...I've had a few issues since getting it...first i woke with the pressure staying at 10 without any dropping..so I turned it off then back on and it worked as it should varying between 4 and 10...next problem was the humidifier...woke up stuffy...not dry but too wet...i tried everything and finally got it where it's manageable. ..not perfect but I'm living with it....then the dark vader inspiration noise...I complaned to apera and the Respiratory therapists said she would order me a resmed s9 autoset as this was the one sent home with me for the 3 day titration study. I told her I had no problems with that machine. What does everyone think of that. Anyone else have similar problems with the airsense 10 autoset.Thanks Jim
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hand numbness when using CPAP sleepingbetterinFl 2 59 5 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  [CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP DKane 7 116 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 250 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 68 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,336 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.