Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] essential oils in the water tub
essential oils in the water tub
Dear Forum what is the general feeling about a couple of drops of (say) eucalptyus oil in the water tyb to act as a decongestant?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: essential oils in the water tub
Not a good thing to do
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely no EO in the tub - but you can put a drop onto a diffuser pad (cotton ball) and have it near the intake. Personally I find it irritating. When stuffy I have successfully put a dab of Vicks vapo-rub on the counter top behind the machine and cleared my nose, but it makes my eyes burn a little so I avoid that too.

I find that cpap really magnifies smells. Son was at the house and cooking at 1am - smells woke me and lingered long after the house was less smelly. Dog farts are heinous, as is spousal "bear breath." If I am going to successfully use any aromatherapy with the cpap it will have to be in minute amounts, and in anycase that is my advice Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Dog farts are heinous, as is spousal "bear breath."
That's a comparison for the record books!

EO near the intake is a no-go also. One cannot tell what the effect would be on the machine sensors.

With my FFM, I have put a little Vick's on my upper lip. I seems to work; but, I think it should not be used long term.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lewisag,
I wouldn't recommend putting essential oils in the water chamber because, over time, they can make things sticky.
You could put some on a cotton ball and put it by where the filter goes into your machine but you still have to be careful.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't want oils to vaporize and be inhaled into the lungs, so putting any oil in the humidifier tub is a huge no no. I will use aromatherapy with my cpap and put say a drop of oil on the diffuser pad and put it about 6-8 inches away from the intake and it isn't overpowering at all. Just remember a drop will do it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 06:11 AM)justMongo Wrote: ...

EO near the intake is a no-go also. One cannot tell what the effect would be on the machine sensors...

Since the machine sensors have no connection to the chemical makeup of what is in the tank or what is in the IPAP, or the intake, I think we can easily tell that there would be no effect at all.

If these oils were in reality "essential", doesn't that imply that everyone should have them all the time? Crankcase oil is essential. Not much else.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 03:57 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: Since the machine sensors have no connection to the chemical makeup of what is in the tank or what is in the IPAP, or the intake, I think we can easily tell that there would be no effect at all.

You gum up those sensors and all bets are off. It's like having a dirty MAF sensor on your fuel injected car.

Where did you go to engineering school?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 06:11 AM)justMongo Wrote: Dog farts are heinous, as is spousal "bear breath."
That's a comparison for the record books!

Liked that, did ya? DielaughingDielaughingDielaughing

when someone is a mouth breather, and that someone has big lungs and stinky guts, I assure you, it is appropos! an entire room can be filled with that fug, I kid you not! (Thank God he never reads anything in a forum - bahahahaha I can say what I want)
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 03:57 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: If these oils were in reality "essential", doesn't that imply that everyone should have them all the time? Crankcase oil is essential. Not much else.

The word "essential", like most words, doesn't have just one meaning.
In this case "essential" is used in the sense of "contains the 'essence' of the plant's fragrance".

Never tried them myself and have no plans to start...
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,815 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 184 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90
  [Equipment] water chamber strong plastic odor twdc33 2 356 01-24-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: twdc33

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.