Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] fear
fear
i have turned my machine on many nites and went to sleep only to wake up in the nite scared and wanting to remove mask, not sure what my setting are, could it have to do with that, has anyone else experianced this, if so how did you remedy it, thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: fear
If your using a minimum pressure of 4cm as your profile states, it could be you are feeling starved for air.

You are using a wide open pressure range. Post a daily chart from OSCAR here, and someone can take a look and get you dialed in.

On second look, your machine may only be partially supported by OSCAR.
Either way, you may feel better with a minimum pressure of 6 or 7.

Edit: You started Cpap use in 2016. That’s 3 years now, unless you stopped therapy for some reason. Fill in the blanks please.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mousetrap351,

Welcome to the Apnea Board. I've encountered what seems similar when I first started CPAP. With time, setting adjusting, and machine style changes (from CPAP to BPAP to ASV for specific apnea needs) I was able to get past the initial fear and concerns.

If your info on the left panel is accurate, you're running a wide open pressure setting. Without seeing any OSCAR charts, I can say that the low number of 4 is too low for most adults. That can make your situation worse because you'll probably feel air starved.

Get OSCAR, post a recent use session, and I'd suggest a bump in the low setting to 6 to start. You can access the clinician manual via CPAP Setup Manual at the top banner.

Keep at it as it actually does get better. Best to your success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-21-2019, 04:32 PM)mousetrap351 Wrote: i have turned my machine on many nites and went to sleep only to wake up in the nite scared and wanting to remove mask, not sure what my setting are, could it have to do with that, has anyone else experianced this, if so how did you remedy it, thank you
If you are concerned over your settings, you should be able to verify what they are by using the proper manual for instructions and getting into the menu.  However, is it really wondering what they are that is giving you some anxiety...and not if they are right for you?  I think the other responders are onto something when they say that your settings may be overdo for scrutiny, now three years hence, and that you may not be getting the optimal treatment for your current condition and circumstances.  Getting your AHI under control is one thing, but also feeling 'well-served' and comfortable are just as important.  That low setting of 4.0 is something we routinely ask people to bump up into the 5.0 - 6.0 range only for comfort and to reduce that air-starved feeing.  Also, we ask people to try to wean themselves off 'ramp' if they're up for it.

If your mask is good, fitted well, and your flow is correct for you as you are these days, this feeling of anxiousness might be due to something else.  Waking after REM sleep is very common, and can happen early or late during the night.  Listening for something.  Hearing something.  Anticipating something...like an alarm.  The hose is not behaving and wants to love your neck too much.  You're actually getting substantial leaking, maybe, just not into the 'large leak' range.  Having to burp...or worse.  The list goes on.
Post Reply Post Reply
This happened to me. Once I raised the pressure to 6, I no longer experienced that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP User Having Anxiety Insomnia Fear of Sleep Apneas Achilles76 7 1,176 06-10-2020, 09:31 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Any advice for a new cpap user who has a fear of things covering her face. Kbowie78 11 3,718 07-25-2016, 06:58 AM
Last Post: Dramagal27
Surprised Fear of Suffocation Cleome 23 13,287 02-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  [News] Commercial Drivers Understate OSA Symptoms for Fear of Losing Their License ApneaNews 2 2,770 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Last Post: Moriarty

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.