Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

just swapped to quattro fx mask
just swapped to quattro fx mask
I just went from the mirage fx nasal mask to the quattro fx full face mask...
mainly because of stuffiness and trying to eliminate mouth breathing issues.
I used the mirage for almost 2years and thought i was doing ok, sleepyhead shows I have quite a few mask leaks with both mask.
is this something normal that can be eliminated, i dont want to cinch the mask so tight i get a head/face aches.
I know some of the leaks are when i obstruct and the pressure builds up and i get blowby around the nose area, usually wakes me blowing over my eyes.
what tricks are there to conquer leaks?

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: just swapped to quattro fx mask
(11-08-2013, 07:41 PM)rhinoapnea Wrote: is this something normal that can be eliminated, i dont want to cinch the mask so tight i get a head/face aches.
Hi rhinoapnea, welcome to the forum
It depend on the leak rate and if disturbing your sleep, you don,t want to over tighten so its uncomfortable, the cushion seal best when a bit loose and fully inflated. Have you tried chinstrap with the nasal mask? chinstrap can help keep mouth closed so you breathe thru your nose.
Some use mask liners, I made my own but find it better without using any liners

Are you using humidifier, your user profile shows "unsure", adding moisture can helps with the stuffiness but for some, the reverse is true
Any tricks: washing the cushion each day or wipe with mask wipes and wash your face before bed to remove skin oil does help with the seal
If were me (not recommendation for you, please with check with your doctor) I would increase the minimum set pressure close to 90% percentile pressure and mask fit at that pressure would help maintain the seal during the night rather than fit the mask at 4 "minimum pressure"

Edit: what Respironcis machine do you have? SleepyHead software supports System One machines
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rhinoapnea,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What zonk said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I've found mask liners helped get rid of major leaks (including the over the eyes leaks).
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-08-2013, 07:41 PM)rhinoapnea Wrote: I just went from the mirage fx nasal mask to the quattro fx full face mask...

I know some of the leaks are when i obstruct and the pressure builds up and i get blowby around the nose area, usually wakes me blowing over my eyes.
what tricks are there to conquer leaks?

Hi rhinoapnea, welcome to thee forum!

I use the Quattro FX with RemZzz mask liners. The liner makes a huge difference for me. Leaks are less, and what leaks remain are softer, less bothersome.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hang tough. Sometimes different masks work for different people. Some folks prefer the chin strap route with a nasal mask, or nose pillows. I just sent back a Quattro Air I was trying due to too many leaks. Yet many others really like this mask - go figure.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello rhinoapnea, and welcome to the forum. I use the Quatro FX when I use a FFM, and I am happy with it (I am currently trying to make it a backup though, because I tried the F&P Pilairo/Pilairo Q nasal pillow mask, and I love it!) There is a lot of individualism to a full face mask, especially when it comes to leaks, because they have a larger surface area than nasal masks or pillows, and there are a lot of contours in our faces (well, most of us anyway). There is a LOT of information in this forum regarding masks, and leaks (and everything else....great people). Since I am new to CPAP, I searched around the forum for a few days and read a lot of past posts on the subject, and I learned a lot. If you search around, you will find MUCH info on leaks, and on tricks to defeat them.
Hope this helps!
Chile
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks for the replies.....
guess my frustration is after almost 2 years of every night all night use, I expected some
improvements. red blood cell count still high, still tired...
i have thought about talking with dr about starting at a higher pressure instead of ramping
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-14-2013, 08:57 PM)rhinoapnea Wrote: thanks for the replies.....
guess my frustration is after almost 2 years of every night all night use, I expected some
improvements. red blood cell count still high, still tired...
i have thought about talking with dr about starting at a higher pressure instead of ramping

ramping is really up to you. If you think you can tolerate your low pressure from the beginning of your sleep, then just turn off the ramp. Your doc doesn't need to approve that.

just curious....what is your median and maximum pressure? You could tighten up the pressure range from 4-12 to a lower pressure closer to your median pressure and the upper pressure a little higher than your max pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 367 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 478 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,530 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  RIP Quattro FX dave1013 5 715 08-16-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: dave1013
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.