Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] first post_confusing first week on CPAP
first post_confusing first week on CPAP
Hi there...

I am on a 8 week trial with the machine...

recently diagnosed with SA, had a trial machine for 10 days now, started with Resmed nose pillows, then tried the Wisp mask. I was not happy at first with the pillows, the tech suggested I try the Wisp. No luck with that, sore flesh on nose, leaks...back to pillows...

My pressure started at 6, now I am up to 10.

Really tired, feel like I am not resting at all.. Bathrooms breaks are down to 1 or none so that is good?

I am really surprised the sleep tech did not advise that there would/could be issues getting used to this. glad there is support here though...

Hopefully will see the tech this week....

Stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: first post_confusing first week on CPAP
Welcome StephenR, some people have no problems at all and some have a lot, they should discuss the possible problems that could arise, keep at it, it is well worth it in the end and please ask any questions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi StephenR,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yeah, CPAP therapy can take some getting used to but just stick with it.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you as you continue with CPAP therapy, and feel free to ask as many questions to help you along the way.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 10:16 PM)StephenR Wrote: I am really surprised the sleep tech did not advise that there would/could be issues getting used to this. glad there is support here though...

many techs just want to shove you out the door as fast as possible so they can get the next sucker in and bleed 'em for money.

"here's your stuff, NEXT!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi StephenR, The drop in bathroom breaks during the night tends to indicate that you sleep is less fragmented now. I'm going to agree with this advice from earlier today: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...5#pid74885

Oh well, that's just me not changing my mind yet. Seriously, the change in bathroom breaks are often the first sign that CPAP is working - is it odd that the pulmonologists and the urologists don't advertise more together?

More good advice will soon follow from members of the forum. And one can learn a lot (as I did) from poking around in the archives here. Good luck!

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-06-2014, 10:16 PM)StephenR Wrote: Really tired, feel like I am not resting at all.. Bathrooms breaks are down to 1 or none so that is good?
That is normal, the rest will come in due course, there is lots to catch up and body to heal after years of sleep deprivation and suffocation

Here is a wiki, you might find useful readings and gives you some ideas: Tips for new CPAP users
There are many tips for new CPAP users that can make a difference when starting on CPAP therapy
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...CPAP_users

You can download SleepyHead and see if the leak and AHI within the normal range, if your AHI during the sleep study was 40, 50 or whatever events per hour, we like to see AHI about 5 and lower
Sleepyhead download link http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...e-software

Whats the model number of your machine, models numbers below 450/460 are not data capable
[Image: PR-model.jpg]
In Canada, model numbers, end with '1' instead of '0', e.g REF 461 instead of 460 - don,t forget to remove the water tank before checking
Post Reply Post Reply
Horrible night, nasal pillows start to leak if I roll on to my side. Is this an issues for others? Do I need to sleep on my back?

I am going to make a chin strap see if that helps too, I think I am mouth breathing a bit...

Ugg, this is hard, feel like I want to crawl under a rock today, lol....

onwards.....

Stephen
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry - yes, sleeping on one's side "generally" reduces the AHI a varying amount, but also for a lot of people "generally" causes much worse mask leaks. I'm one of them. (I think the leaks tend to be worse with a FFM rather than nasal pillows - but "generally" isn't too helpful to you on this highly individualized subject.)

Some other recent threads discuss how to pull data from your machine and into Sleepyhead, so that folks on the board can provide you with advice more specifically useful for you.

Hang in there, and please let us know how the chin strap works for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Stephen,

You should be able to sleep on your side fine if the pillows mask is fitting you tightly enough. By that I don't mean sucked into your brains, just snugly so that when you roll over they stay put.

Going to a chinstrap is probably a good idea for you. Put it on, then the mask.

Many people cannot sleep on their back well because it causes their ahi to increase. I feel very fortunate in that before cpap I could never sleep on my back, and now I can flop around like a fish all night. It's great.

Resmed makes a couple of different pillows masks. Which one do you have? I originally had some that vented so strongly that it blew the fur off of one of the miserable cats I used to put up with. Now I have the Airfit P10. Much better mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it the Airfit P10 a better mask because it does worse things to the miserable cats, or because it's better for just you?

Either answer is understandable of course. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  First week with CPAP Oscar - Adjustments phillyfan24 5 484 03-09-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: phillyfan24
  [NEW USER] First Week - Help Getting Oriented rarmstrong26 4 202 03-05-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: rarmstrong26
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 222 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10
  My Mother did an In-Lab sleep study last week. Phaleronic 4 503 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  First week CPAP. Had such high hopes...advice tuumi2000 2 563 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM
Last Post: tuumi2000

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.