Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP for 10 Years - STILL HIGH AHI's!
RE: CPAP for 10 Years - STILL HIGH AHI's!
(06-12-2019, 07:15 AM)jennie54 Wrote: I do have a memory card in my machine and every time I see my Sleep Doctor (or Nurse Practitioner) I take the card with me so they can read the data off of it.  Like I said the only thing they ever tell me is my AHI (and I guess that's the number from the 30 day average they're giving me) Once in a while they tell me if I have any leakages and they always tell me I'm 100% compliant because I do use the CPAP every night.  And when I saw the doctor last year he just shook his head and told me he doesn't understand why my AHI is still so high when I use CPAP every night. And the only thing they ever did over the 10+ years I've been going to the same sleep doctor is occasionally raise the pressure on my machine. They seem to take zero interest in helping figure out what to do - I've asked on a number of occasions if maybe another Sleep Study is in order (haven't had one since - what 2008?) . At this point I don't even care if insurance won't cover a sleep study - I am desperate enough that I am willing to pay out of pocket for it. I do think that when a person gets to a certain age - I am now in my mid-60's - that most doctors put their focus on their younger patients, maybe because us older patients are not worth the time, effort and cost to get the medical help they need to still be healthy, productive adults. 
Thanks for suggesting this software to get the data from my card - I will give it another try.
My AHI readings from the last 5 nights: 10.5, 10.1, 11.0, 10.0 and 9.5
Another day to look forward to being so tired and worn out that I can't even muster the energy to get on my treadmill for a workout - 10 lbs gained in the last year as things get progressively worse, so it's a vicious circle to say the least!

Jennie, please come back and post some data, or at least tell us what kind of events are occurring.  There is a solution. If you have a lot of hypopnea or snores, it's possible you have upper airway restriction that could be resolved with bilevel therapy, but there are other possibilities.  You have an ancient machine and an unhelpful doctor.  I agree with Deepbreathing, you should consider moving your business to a more competent practice.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I will definitely see about downloading the OSCAR software with the link you posted.  I don't get a breakdown with my current machine - I got this one back in 2015 and am not due a new one till next year. It does not specify the apneas and the hypopneas separately just the AHI. You would think that after being diagnosed over 10 years ago and being on CPAP most of that time (it took me several months after diagnosis to be able to actually tolerate wearing that full face mask every night) that I would be more informed by now. But my Pulmonologist/Sleep Doctor has never taken the time to help me understand things better - they just read the data from the card, check my vitals and send me on my way to figure the rest out myself.  I did start seeing a different Pulmonologist/Sleep Doctor about 2 years ago to compare him with the first doctor - same thing; read the data, gave me the basics and said to come back in a year.(So currently I am a patient of both doctors- the second one I see more for my COPD though). So right now I actually have 2 doctors, neither seem to take much of an interest. They may figure I am a lost cause since I have a long list of other health issues that may prevent my CPAP treatment to do much good.  I will definitely push for more information and insist on another sleep study when I go in again on July 1st. If I'm able to download and access my data from this software I will post it for anyone here who can help explain things to me.  Thanks for everyone's time and concern!
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2019, 07:01 AM)jennie54 Wrote: They may figure I am a lost cause since I have a long list of other health issues that may prevent my CPAP treatment to do much good.  I will definitely push for more information and insist on another sleep study when I go in again on July 1st. If I'm able to download and access my data from this software I will post it for anyone here who can help explain things to me.  Thanks for everyone's time and concern!

The doctors simply don't know any better. My sleep doc is a pulmonologist and she checks only the summary, says she can't look at the data because the clinic won't allow her to install the software on her computer. But her assistants use that very same software to prepare the summary reports for her!

Hopefully you will be able to get OSCAR installed so we can look at your data. If you need help let us know.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For COPD patients, the resistance is usually more related to the pulmonary issues (lower respiratory) rather that the common upper respiratory resistance of most obstructive apnea patients. Bilevel therapy can reduce the breathing effort by providing higher inhale pressures and lower exhale pressures. With COPD, it is often difficult to exhale. In the case of the Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto (auto-bilevel), the timing and sensitivity of inhale can be adjusted in ways that make more time for exhale to occur. This makes a big difference in comfort for most COPD users. Resmed also makes a machine specific to COPD patients https://www.resmed.com/us/en/healthcare-...-copd.html

Once we see your data in OSCAR, we can actually tell you things like your tidal volume, minute vent, respiratory rate inspiratory/expiratory timing, as well as see events and details of your respiration that you can then discuss more intelligently with our doctor. Most doctors are short on time, and if you are using the machine, and your AHI looks good, they will not look any deeper...we will, and you may use that information to your best advantage in positioning for the right machine next year.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I tried over and over to attach files from the Oscar software I downloaded but it keeps saying the file is too large, so I'll just say what's on there:

From June 10, 2019:                                                  From June 12, 2019:
AHI: 13.97                                                                AHI: 7.29
Periodic Breathing: 3.37%                                          Periodic Breathing: 0.48%
Clear Airway: 0.43                                                     Clear Airway: 0.00
Obstructive: 9.98                                                       Obstructive: 4.73
Hypopnea: 3.56                                                         Hypopnea: 2.56
RERA: 3.85                                                               RERA: 2.43
Flow Limitation: 0.00                                                 Flow Limitation: 0.00
Vibratory Snore: 0.00                                                Vibratory Snore: 0.00
Vibratory Snore (VS2): 4.42                                       Vibratory Snore (VS2): 2.69
Pressure Pulse: 2.57                                                  Pressure Pulse: 0.77
Breathing Not Detected: 0.00%                                  Breathing Not Detected: 0.00%

PAP Mode: CPAP
Fixed 13 (cmH2O)

If anyone can explain this in detail to me, I would appreciate it. Thanks. These numbers differ some from the INFO button on the CPAP Machine itself, so not sure which is most accurate.
Post Reply Post Reply
More info from the software (Oscar) for June 12, 2019. Please explain if you can!

Total time in apnea: 19.49

Tidal Volume: Min: 13.33
                    Median: 300

Respiration: 6.15 up to 14.00
PB: 2.92

Usage: 7.13 hrs

AHI: 7.99, CA: 0.70, OA: 4.77, H: 2.52

Wish I could figure out how to attach the entire images from the software data, but no luck so far so I will do this all manually.
Post Reply Post Reply
hi jennie,

discovered oscar for the first time today myself. from what i can tell, you insert the cpap's sd card into your pc (via card reader) and have oscar import the data on it by clicking the import icon on the right.

once that's completed, pick a recent day where you used your cpap, click 'view' on the menu bar at the top, then 'take screenshot'. a balloon should popup at the bottom telling you where the image has been saved (documents\oscar_data\screenshots on my windows machine). do the same for the 'statistics' tab on the top.

after that you just click 'browse' next to 'new attachment' on this website's reply page and point it to where the picture file is stored.
Post Reply Post Reply
jennie54,
See the links below in my signature line.

They will show you how to take a screenshot of your data on the daily page, and then use the Attachment feature to post your chart here.

Pay attention to the organization of your daily page.

You need help, so don’t give up. I wouldn’t count too much on your doc for help.
The folk here will be able to look at your data and advise you.
You can take that info with you to your doctor.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
If this helps my DR of 3 years said I guess this is the best you can do at AHI of 12 on a 30 day average. I changed DR's in the last few months and so far she has me down to 7 AHI's and I will soon have a new machine that will hopefully get mine down.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wish you the best in getting your AHI’s down- just because I’m feeling like I’m not getting better sleep with my CPAP doesn’t mean I feel any better when I read that others are also having similar problems. I get on here to vent and get advice from time to time and what I would love to see above all else was that CPAP therapy was making a huge difference in all of us suffering with sleep apnea. Before I was diagnosed about 10 years ago I did not even know what sleep apnea was. And now after treatment, seeing two different doctors and reading  every thing I can find on the subject and finally having the software to download and view my own data am I obsessing non stop about this condition.  I for one need to find a way to get my anxiety about my sleep apnea under control so I don’t add even more health problems to my already long list.
I wish you the best and hope your numbers continue to improve.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 710 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 109 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 120 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,434 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 215 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.