Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP for 9 Months - Tips for more improvement
CPAP for 9 Months - Tips for more improvement
Hello Everyone,

Lurker for 9 months on my CPAP. I havent really felt much different over the last few months. I am looking for some tips to see what I can adjust to possibly make things even better. Or is it as good as it gets?

I still get fairly sleepy mid day and lean back on caffeine to keep me awake. The majority of my AHI is below 0.5. Below is a snip on one of my worst days in many months. Everything is default from when I was diagnosed and prescribed. Any tips/advice welcome and sorry if I missed posting something thats required for a newbie.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP for 9 Months - Tips for more improvement
You want to use OSCAR, it is downloadable at the top of the site.  Then load your data from the card and take a screen shot using F12 button.  Post the screen shot and people will be able to see your data.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure of 5 might not be enough even if you have <1 AHI.

I get <1 AHI on pressure 8 but I don't get much sleep nor feel refreshed after waking up. That I achieve on 12+

The way I understand it is, we have had apneas for decades so the brain isn't letting go and relaxing anymore until you reach your true therapeutic pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
    Sorry, thought the screenshot would paste into the thread. Attaching the ss
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2020, 12:25 PM)ardenum Wrote: Pressure of 5 might not be enough even if you have <1 AHI.

I get <1 AHI on pressure 8 but I don't get much sleep nor feel refreshed after waking up. That I achieve on 12+

The way I understand it is, we have had apneas for decades so the brain isn't letting go and relaxing anymore until you reach your true therapeutic pressures.

Recommend slowly bumping it up? or change it to APAP mode and let the machine adjust?
Post Reply Post Reply
I’d like to change up your settings pretty significantly and see how you respond. I promise if you’re not comfortable you can switch back. Here are the settings:

Mode: Autoset
Minimum pressure: 6.0
Maximum pressure 8.0
Comfort
EPR: On full time
EPR Setting: 2

This is either going to be great or will increase CA, in which case it will be important to take a look at a redacted copy of your sleep report.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2020, 02:18 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I’d like to change up your settings pretty significantly and see how you respond. I promise if you’re not comfortable you can switch back. Here are the settings:

Mode: Autoset
Minimum pressure: 6.0
Maximum pressure 8.0
Comfort
EPR: On full time
EPR Setting: 2

This is either going to be great or will increase CA, in which case it will be important to take a look at a redacted copy of your sleep report.

I will give these settings a shot tonight and report back with the data. Ive been on autopilot since the start since the stupid myair number looks good, then its the best it can do. I guess it can be misleading. I really appreciate the help you guys provide here.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached are results after the settings change.

Slept ok, woke up a few times tossing and turning. Brief period where i took the gear off my face. Will see how i feel throughout the day.
AHI does look higher then before. Not sure if this is more accurate but does look like less RERA events

Post Reply Post Reply
Your changes resulted in positive gains in tidal volume and minute vent, and reduced flow limitations (95%) from 0.32 to 0.08 That is a lot! Your AHI is not changed significantly, but this looks like much more comfortable therapy in spite of an arousal. Based on the success at these pressure, you may want to consider taking minimum pressure to 7.0 with EPR 3 and setting maximum pressure at 9.0. This should suppress any remaining flow limitation and be more restful.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome, i will give these a shot tonight. Makes me wonder how many people get their cpap/apap and dont further optimize thinking everything is at its best based off myair app score.

Thanks again, Ill post some additional numbers after a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,352 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Judging CPAP improvement jprconsulting 1 81 03-24-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,654 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Going nowhere with ASV after 3 months CaliforniaDreamer 20 485 03-08-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Only CAs on Oscar but diagnosed with OSA - 2 months CPAP and no improvement 444zane3 4 292 03-07-2024, 02:06 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.