Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP for a year. Still feel poorly.
RE: CPAP for a year. Still feel poorly.
(06-30-2019, 06:54 PM)Rcol Wrote:
Quote:Diotima245

Have you considered the possibility that you might have Hypersomnia? A lot of people think CPAP will cure this but its neurological (I think). I h ave similar issues with tiredness and CPAP has taken me 50% of the way there but I get a lot of fatigue due to hypersomnia.

The at home study won't show hypersomnia you have to go into a lab to get that detected.

I have all sorts of theories (Gut issues? Thyroid?), but not much evidence pointing anywhere. Hypersomnia doesn't seem likely to me - though I'm mostly ignorant about it. I don't have much trouble staying awake throughout the day, and I generally take a bit of time to fall asleep. I'm mostly just fatigued, and have poor concentration, and feel sort of inflamed most of the time. But then - the sleepiness is tough to judge, because I self medicate with coffee (not to any extreme degree, 2-4 cups a day). 

I've tried (lightly) pushing my sleep tech for an in-lab study, but she tells me she doesn't think it would "give us any new information", and wants me to wait and see what the ENT says about my airway.

Hypersomnia can cause of those things you listed. I am otherwise pretty "high functioning" because I've lived with it for years... I had no idea I had hypersomnia till I had a sleep study.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 01:46 PM)Dormeo Wrote: I'm attaching two charts showing what I take to be arousals, one with a CA and one without.  I think they both reflect partial or full wake-ups, and I think the one with the CA flagged represents me holding my breath while I turn over.  Hope this helps!

Yeah, I definitely see some of that strewn about, but I'm not sure what to make of it. ie, how much is normal, and what it suggests I should do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 06:58 PM)Diotima245 Wrote:
(06-30-2019, 06:54 PM)Rcol Wrote:
Quote:Diotima245

Have you considered the possibility that you might have Hypersomnia? A lot of people think CPAP will cure this but its neurological (I think). I h ave similar issues with tiredness and CPAP has taken me 50% of the way there but I get a lot of fatigue due to hypersomnia.

The at home study won't show hypersomnia you have to go into a lab to get that detected.

I have all sorts of theories (Gut issues? Thyroid?), but not much evidence pointing anywhere. Hypersomnia doesn't seem likely to me - though I'm mostly ignorant about it. I don't have much trouble staying awake throughout the day, and I generally take a bit of time to fall asleep. I'm mostly just fatigued, and have poor concentration, and feel sort of inflamed most of the time. But then - the sleepiness is tough to judge, because I self medicate with coffee (not to any extreme degree, 2-4 cups a day). 

I've tried (lightly) pushing my sleep tech for an in-lab study, but she tells me she doesn't think it would "give us any new information", and wants me to wait and see what the ENT says about my airway.

Hypersomnia can cause of those things you listed. I am otherwise pretty "high functioning" because I've lived with it for years... I had no idea I had hypersomnia till I had a sleep study.

Yeah, I took Vyvanse for about 7-8 years, starting at age 17-ish. I'm sure I'm also somewhat ADHD, but I think it was largely 'treating' disordered sleep. I've had a lot of issues with anxiety/mild depression too, which I suspect are also probably related. 

I'll push harder for an in-lab after the ENT visit, which is this week.
Post Reply Post Reply
fyi

see: http://www.healthline.com/health/hypersomnia

hypersomnia is less a cause than a description of a condition or group of symptoms including tiredness, "which can affect concentration and energy level". hypersomnia may be neurological or caused by an underlying condition like heart disease, apnea, kidney problems and atypical depression. it can be related to thyroid, head injury, medications, drug and alcohol use.

symptoms include "low energy, irritability, anxiety, loss of appetite, slow thinking or speech, difficulty remembering [and] restlessness".

I'm thinking hypersomnia applies to a great many apneacs, even after treatment. it describes me pretty well. and while I am not 100% certain I believe my continuing fatigue even after nearly 3 years on cpap is due to arousals from periodic limb movement.

the article isn't very encouraging with respect to a 'cure'.

Rcol, I also have ADD and lifelong apnea. maybe some anxiety and depression, IDK. certainly frustration and regret at never feeling as energetic as everyone else or performing as well as I was expected to. I've long believed all these things are related and keep hoping to find relief with better sleep. clearly apnea can be a reason for hypersomnia but lousy sleep may well have other sources as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ask for a copy of your sleep study. It should provide more details about your night's sleep.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
People with hypersomnia has little to no sleep latency (the period between laying down and falling asleep). For example in my case I fall asleep almost immediately upon lights out, phone off, and eyes closed. This might sound like a "good" thing but trust me it is a strong sign of sleep deprivation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 08:39 PM)Diotima245 Wrote: People with hypersomnia has little to no sleep  latency (the period between laying down and falling asleep). For example in my case I fall asleep almost immediately upon lights out, phone off, and eyes closed. This might sound like a "good" thing but trust me it is a strong sign of sleep deprivation.

Yeah, that's not me.

I have friends who regularly fall asleep sitting on a couch watching a movie. Totally unrelatable to me. I've had trouble falling asleep for as long as I can remember. CPAP has helped that - I think because it's treating transitional apneas that occur as I drift into sleep. But I think the bigger thing is that my brain is just generally a little hyperactive, and I have strong resist-tiredness muscles that I've been training all of my life.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-30-2019, 07:29 PM)sheepless Wrote: Rcol, I also have ADD and lifelong apnea.  maybe some anxiety and depression, IDK.  certainly frustration and regret at never feeling as energetic as everyone else or performing as well as I was expected to.  I've long believed all these things are related and keep hoping to find relief with better sleep.  clearly apnea can be a reason for hypersomnia but lousy sleep may well have other sources as well.

Yeah, that about describes my outlook. The depression I experience is mostly centered around self-loathing for being a miserable, sickly sh*t. I definitely have some base-level anxiety that's been around since the early teen years - don't know whether it's related to sleep, or what. Could just be sh**ty genes, or lead poisoning.  Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 196 Yesterday, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  1 year on CPAP - No progress: Lowenstein Prisma Smart phoen1kx 30 1,478 03-15-2024, 04:47 PM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 329 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,018 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.