Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] help
help
i have the pr system one cpap and humidifier with 1.5 lpm oxygen my second night i put the mask on turned every thing on the air was so cold i couldnt bare it i had the heater on 5 so today i found out how to get into the clinician setup and turned the humidifier off, the heater still comes on and after a few minutes the air seems to be a little bit warmer my question is now with the humidifier turned off in the clinician setup what can i expect when i wake up in the morning,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: help
Do you have the standard humidifier or the heated humidifier with the heated line, climate line?

If you don't have the heated humidifier with the climate line, make sure that you demand it. It will allow you to turn up real heat on 5 +16 degrees over ambient room air and humidity at 80%. It will make all the difference for you. You need the humidity to stop the drying of nasal passages throat etc. And you need the heat to keep it warm.

Welcome to the board also!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
its the heated humidifier i dont have the heated line yet but was told to call my doc tomorrow and let him know of the problems im having that he would have to write a prescription for it, i do know it has something in it that picks up the moisture in the air and with all the rain we have been having the air is damp after reading somewhere about someone else having the same problem they fixed it my going into the settings and turning that sensor off and im not sure if i turned the right thing off i have a dry mouth from oral cancer treatment in 2002 and now the diaphragm on my right lung stopped working so i never feel like im getting enough air in thus the reason for being a mouth breather, this is my third night for the cpap so i guess you could say im a baby with the cpap im very eager to learn
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tupeloman38801,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you are eager to learn, that will go a long way toward your adjustment to your CPAP mask and machine. Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-04-2015, 07:45 PM)tupeloman38801 Wrote: its the heated humidifier i dont have the heated line yet but was told to call my doc tomorrow and let him know of the problems im having that he would have to write a prescription for it, i do know it has something in it that picks up the moisture in the air and with all the rain we have been having the air is damp after reading somewhere about someone else having the same problem they fixed it my going into the settings and turning that sensor off and im not sure if i turned the right thing off i have a dry mouth from oral cancer treatment in 2002 and now the diaphragm on my right lung stopped working so i never feel like im getting enough air in thus the reason for being a mouth breather, this is my third night for the cpap so i guess you could say im a baby with the cpap im very eager to learn

I learned about the heated hose the hard way, same as you are now. Make sure to get the heated hose for the unit from the Dr. That will make the cold air issues vanish for you. It will also allow you more humidity resulting in no more dry issues along with no rain out and better results. You really don't want the humidity off as it isn't going to make it better. Just my experience with the same machine.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
the hearter is still on i think it is just turning off the sensor that senses the dampness in the air in the room not for sure but i will know in the morning
Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine is not the 60 series, it cannot be upgraded with the heated tube, however there are alternatives. So is your machine a model DSx50 or model DSx60?

If it is upgradeable, your DME can supply an upgrade kit (they are available for $75 online) or you could just do it yourself and avoid all the hassle and delay.

If you have the PR system one 50 series then you can buy a heated hose from [Commercial DME link removed - see below]. I used one of these since 2008 and was very comfortable using my M-Series auto.

Good luck, and hope you find a solution.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
it is a Philips Respironics "60 Series" SYSTEM ONE REMSTAR AUTO 560
Post Reply Post Reply
by going into the clinician setup and turning the humidifier off it still put moisture in the air and gave me warmer air flow, im using the 60 series pr one system, the first night the humidifier was on and i had no moisture in the hose this morning when i woke up my mouth was no were near as dry and there was about a tea spoon of water in the hose so it worked i am still going to get the heated hose and turn the humidifier back on and see how that works, i slept for about 7 hours and when i got up i didnt feel like i had ran rabbits all night im actually feeling a bit rested i havent done that in over 2 years so im looking forward to getting this machine setup to where it works the best for me i do thank every one for there inputs and guidance i will be doing alot of reading and asking questions
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for updating your profile with the 60 series machine. The settings for humidity control can be a bit confusing as there are options for heated tube humidification, System One humidification and Classic humidity settings. Most of us not using the heated tube, do best on the classic 1-5 setting and turning off System One. The clinician manual is not much clearer:

Quote:Heated Tube humidification - This setting will only display if you are using the heated tube. You can enable or disable this feature.
• SYSTEM ONE humidification - System One humidity control maintains a consistent mask humidity by monitoring and adjusting for changes in room temperature and room humidity. You can enable or disable this feature. If the System One humidity control has been disabled, the classic style of basic temperature controlled heated humidification will be used. This will only display if the humidifier is attached.
• Humidifier - This setting allows you to choose the desired humidity setting: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5. If the System One humidity control has been disabled, the classic style of basic temperature controlled heated humidification will be used and the display will show: 0, C1, C2, C3, C4 or C5 for these settings. This will only display if the humidifier is attached. Please refer to the humidifier manual if using a humidifier.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.