[CPAP] high AHI/High H/leaks - chin strap?
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Sex: Male

RE: high AHI/High H/leaks - chin strap?
You're just up the road from Ramstein Air Base. Let's see, it's 7:35 PM where you are.
Are US military doctors going to do your surgery?

Adding a chinstrap will probably help.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-23-2014 12:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Buffalo Bob Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: F&P ICON+
Mask Make & Model: resmed quattro air
Humidifier: F&P ICON+
CPAP Pressure: 6-16
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Retired US Military

Hello Whitewabit,

Going to have the spinal fusion operation done in a speciality hospital in Trier, Germany in Jan 15. My wife thinks I am crazy to not having it done earlier since I am in a lot of pain and have to sleep in my recliner in the front room. But I have bought and paid for 5 short hunting trips in the Nov-Dec 14 time frame in Europe. I have my priorities. My APAP machine is next to my recliner and my house doctor said to take it to the hospital as it will help my healing process (expected to be about 3-4 months - in the hospital for about 10-15 days).

Tried my new chin strap last night. It works well. my AHI dropped to 8 and my leakage dropped to 1%. Things looking good!!!!

Regards,

Buffalo Bob
10-24-2014 06:51 AM
Evpraxia Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift LT for Her - Nasal Pillows System
CPAP Pressure: 7-17
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Cat Staff, bibliophile, love Classical & Byzantine music

Sex: Female

(10-24-2014 06:51 AM)Buffalo Bob Wrote:  Hello Whitewabit,

Going to have the spinal fusion operation done in a speciality hospital in Trier, Germany in Jan 15. My wife thinks I am crazy to not having it done earlier since I am in a lot of pain and have to sleep in my recliner in the front room. But I have bought and paid for 5 short hunting trips in the Nov-Dec 14 time frame in Europe. I have my priorities. My APAP machine is next to my recliner and my house doctor said to take it to the hospital as it will help my healing process (expected to be about 3-4 months - in the hospital for about 10-15 days).

Tried my new chin strap last night. It works well. my AHI dropped to 8 and my leakage dropped to 1%. Things looking good!!!!

Regards,

Buffalo Bob

Great News on the AHI dropping to 8 and the leakage number going down as well - Fantastic!

Also VERY glad you Dr. wants to be sure you take your APAP with you to the hospital. However - be VERY sure the anesthesiologist KNOWS you have sleep apnea. This will influence how they administer the anesthesia.

Me being me, I would be tempted to write "I have sleep apnea" on my chest and my back, just in case. But then, I am a bit of a nut. LOL! But then, I have heard of too many Drs operating on the wrong knee, etc. Medical staff are human, so anything I can do to help prevent a mistake I will do (within reason!).

Oh, and put your name all over your APAP gear: mask, headgear, hose, actual APAP, humidifier, etc. I found out there are "skins" to personalize APAP/CPAPs, at least for the ResMed S9s, but I didn't want to pay $35 when I could cover mine for under $5.

[Image: ResMedS9AutoSetw-SkinSep2014_zps7cd2d7ae.jpg]

Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
10-24-2014 04:27 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(10-24-2014 06:51 AM)Buffalo Bob Wrote:  Hello Whitewabit,

Regards,

Buffalo Bob

A very close friend of mine was with the 32nd AADCOM (NIKE Hercules) in the late 1960's. They were HQ'ed in Kaiserslautern. He married a German Frau and has family in Trier.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-25-2014 06:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Soft cervical collar: a tip for mouth breathing and chin tucking Visitor 44 3,694 12-06-2016 11:43 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,213 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  High AHI (7.5) and don't know why fotomatt1 15 678 11-20-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Is it worth dropping pressure to get over leaks rich2905 19 1,275 11-16-2016 02:38 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
Question CA's, Mask type, and leaks/vent Rcgop 10 379 11-15-2016 03:02 PM
Last Post: robysue
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,279 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore
  [Pressure] Hypoxic- No Apneas- Pressure Too High? beardog 13 640 11-08-2016 06:19 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike