Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] high AHI/High H/leaks - chin strap?
RE: high AHI/High H/leaks - chin strap?
You're just up the road from Ramstein Air Base. Let's see, it's 7:35 PM where you are.
Are US military doctors going to do your surgery?

Adding a chinstrap will probably help.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Whitewabit,

Going to have the spinal fusion operation done in a speciality hospital in Trier, Germany in Jan 15. My wife thinks I am crazy to not having it done earlier since I am in a lot of pain and have to sleep in my recliner in the front room. But I have bought and paid for 5 short hunting trips in the Nov-Dec 14 time frame in Europe. I have my priorities. My APAP machine is next to my recliner and my house doctor said to take it to the hospital as it will help my healing process (expected to be about 3-4 months - in the hospital for about 10-15 days).

Tried my new chin strap last night. It works well. my AHI dropped to 8 and my leakage dropped to 1%. Things looking good!!!!

Regards,

Buffalo Bob

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2014, 06:51 AM)Buffalo Bob Wrote: Hello Whitewabit,

Going to have the spinal fusion operation done in a speciality hospital in Trier, Germany in Jan 15. My wife thinks I am crazy to not having it done earlier since I am in a lot of pain and have to sleep in my recliner in the front room. But I have bought and paid for 5 short hunting trips in the Nov-Dec 14 time frame in Europe. I have my priorities. My APAP machine is next to my recliner and my house doctor said to take it to the hospital as it will help my healing process (expected to be about 3-4 months - in the hospital for about 10-15 days).

Tried my new chin strap last night. It works well. my AHI dropped to 8 and my leakage dropped to 1%. Things looking good!!!!

Regards,

Buffalo Bob

Great News on the AHI dropping to 8 and the leakage number going down as well - Fantastic!

Also VERY glad you Dr. wants to be sure you take your APAP with you to the hospital. However - be VERY sure the anesthesiologist KNOWS you have sleep apnea. This will influence how they administer the anesthesia.

Me being me, I would be tempted to write "I have sleep apnea" on my chest and my back, just in case. But then, I am a bit of a nut. LOL! But then, I have heard of too many Drs operating on the wrong knee, etc. Medical staff are human, so anything I can do to help prevent a mistake I will do (within reason!).

Oh, and put your name all over your APAP gear: mask, headgear, hose, actual APAP, humidifier, etc. I found out there are "skins" to personalize APAP/CPAPs, at least for the ResMed S9s, but I didn't want to pay $35 when I could cover mine for under $5.

[Image: ResMedS9AutoSetw-SkinSep2014_zps7cd2d7ae.jpg]
Evpraxia in the Pacific Northwest USA
Diagnosed: 44 AHI when supine, O2 down to 82%
Treated since 20 Sept 2014:: 0.7 AHI, Settings 7-15, EPR on Full Time at Level 3
Better living through CPAP/APAP machines!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2014, 06:51 AM)Buffalo Bob Wrote: Hello Whitewabit,

Regards,

Buffalo Bob

A very close friend of mine was with the 32nd AADCOM (NIKE Hercules) in the late 1960's. They were HQ'ed in Kaiserslautern. He married a German Frau and has family in Trier.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 278 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 225 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 688 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 132 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 102 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 116 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.