Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Questioning Obstructive Apnea diagnosis
Questioning Obstructive Apnea diagnosis
Hello,
I was diagnosed with apnea and placed on a BiLevel. I have not been adjusting to it well and I am trying to understand exact what is going on and why. The sleep study summary and the MLST both refer to obstructive apena, but I do not actually see any obstructive events either on this studies, nor the reports SleepyHead is generating from the S9 data. Neither the S9 on screen summary, nor the detailed SL reports are showing a reduction in AHI. After the first two night I shaved clean and since then I've had the leaks under control and leak number pretty low. As of the night before last I have gotten the AHI down to high 17s, but more then 90% of all the events I've ever seen are CAs.
It seems like if anything the machine has changed my hypopneas into CAs. I'm starting to question if the OSA diagnosis is wrong, and if this treatment is proper for my symptoms and conditions. I was hopping someone could look over the studies help me understand what they are showing.

I have links to my sleep study, MSLT, and subsequent titration. I have been on the machine 6 nights, however the board doesn't allow links. So, I have removed the https part in front of the links.

Sleep Study; drive.google.com/file/d/0B_tO1l3VXrufQjE1YmZldmp2S1E/edit?usp=sharing
MLST; drive.google.com/file/d/0B_tO1l3VXrufSXAwTUxYMTVqNkU/edit?usp=sharing
Titration; drive.google.com/file/d/0B_tO1l3VXrufLS12QV9CLXh2cW8/edit?usp=sharing

Some other details about me; docs.google.com/document/d/18TF7pKQNSyFB9t30JOf1J6p97xRKKuF8yQovKme0I_E/edit?usp=sharing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Questioning Obstructive Apnea diagnosis
They probably went with the OSA diagnosis because of the hypopneas. I don't think you get that many with CSA diagnosis. Hypopnea is when the airway narrows due to partial or pending collapse. Central apnea is where the brain says there is no reason to breathe. I don't think the brain says "just take shallow breaths".

Give it another week or so. If the central events continue to rise or do not decrease, then definitely let your doctor know.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to Diagnosis. Looking for advice and have concerns re: my data bitteroblivion 4 165 04-04-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,687 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 746 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 116 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 253 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Diagnosis question Timlondonparis 3 222 03-18-2024, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Timlondonparis
  New diagnosis, Vauto on the way, some questions SBTApnea 12 808 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.