Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] how to reduce leaks, full face mask
how to reduce leaks, full face mask
Using full face mask, using ResMed Airtouch F20 (with Airsense Autoset 10). I've tried tightening it, and don't hear any leaks before falling asleep, but according to Oscar am getting large leaks: a wide range, from 0.00% to 5%. Maybe the mask is getting pushed away a bit during my sleep?

Is it realistic to bring large leaks down to 0%, or is 1% or so more realistic? Also, I'd like to lower my AHI, I assume the leaks have something to do with that. In the past, using higher pressure led to very uncomfortable side effects, like stomach-aches. At the current setting the pressure is comfortable.

I'm attaching the last 3 nights of data from Oscar.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: how to reduce leaks, full face mask
I can’t open your attachments. Use F12 key to get a screenshot then add the screenshot at the bottom of the screen
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-13-2021, 02:46 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I can’t open your attachments. Use F12 key to get a screenshot then add the screenshot at the bottom of the screen

I have three attachments; each less than 1mb (total allotment, 5.86mb). I uploaded them and clicked on "instert into post." I was just reading the help section on attachments, I don't understand why they're not showing. I can view the screenshots fine on my computer...

I'll try uploading again...

ETA: just uploaded again the same way, seems to be working, not sure why only the Mycode was showing the first time...
Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rates are short in durations and does show mask leaks but I don’t think that it is the main problem. 

You have some H events and a lot of flow limitations. Flow limitations are apnea just smaller but the stop you from deep sleep or even wakes you up. 

To help with those you need EPR=3. That is exhale pressure relief and it helps lower floes limits. But to use it you need to raise the minimum pressure to 7. I know that you have problems with higher pressure. The lowest your machine can go is 4. With min at 7 and EPR AT 3 your exhale pressure will be 4 ACTUALLY lower than you have set now.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
The F20 mask, and really most, do not do well smashing it tightly onto your face. When I first used my F20, I did the same thing, very tight. And it distorted the cushion and made it leak more. If the mask can't control leaks with reasonable fairly loose fit, it's not the right one.

Things to address, raise minimum pressure to 7, add 3 EPR full-time, turn off the Ramp, adjust the mask correctly or change cushion size, make & model of mask to get a better handle on leaks. The events of leak and flow limits are wanting addressed. It also looks like you're needing to add some pressure on the top side as your pressure chart skims at the top most of the night.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies, Stacey and Dave. I'll try EPR 3, min 7 pressure, and raise max pressure. I've been using the CPAP for a long time, hopefully I'll be used to it now and the higher pressure won't cause too much trouble.

And will experiment with getting ideal fit with mask, not too tight...also, I found a thread saying that some prefer the F30 to F20, might give that a try.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the F30 and have ordered F30I. I am a side sleeper and have 0 leaks with the F30. Not all masks work for everyone but it is a good one to try.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that FF mask design has gone backwards recently, based on my own experience. I suspect this is due to cost-cutting. When I first started using CPAP ten years or so ago, most mask cushions were fabricated from high quality silicone rubber that was very pliable, conformed to facial contours well and had a surface texture that sealed against skin fairly well.

More recently, Resmed (the only supplier I have used so far, so maybe the only one doing this) has moved to a stiffer material and a less-complicated design, or fitted 'memory foam' cushions. I find the former uncomfortable (too hard) and far more prone to leaks, probably because it doesn't conform to the face so well, being less pliable. As for memory foam, I haven't tried it but reports of poor longevity and high 'running costs' put me off, along with the difficulties some people mention in keeping the things clean and germ-free.

I have so far been able to track down the old-style cushions for my obsolete mask and so plan to keep using it as long as possible.

I should also mention that, as a side sleeper, it took me some time to adapt to FF masks and I had to develop a technique whereby I manipulate mask and pillow in such a way as to avoid sideways pressure on the mask. Once I got the hang of that, leaks became far less frequent.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll put in a vote for the Fisher&Paykel FF masks - the Simplus and Viters.  I have been using the Simplus for years, and see no deterioration of quality.  My leak stats from Oscar run Min=Med=0, 95% <10, Max<20 most nights.  I tried the Vitera, but it seems not to fit my face as well as the Simplus.  Numerous folk have posted positive experiences here with the F&P masks, and I'm another.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess that is why there are so many different masks. I found the old type masks, I could not stand the amount of flex of the old ff masks. I just could not go to sleep with the mask going in and out all night.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 358 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 339 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 280 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 158 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 513 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.