Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] how to reduce leaks, full face mask
RE: how to reduce leaks, full face mask
I got the newest Resmed FF mask with mem foam and was thrilled to see the effect on how much sleep needed and (at least 1 hr less) and refreshed in a.m.. Until last night which is why I am reviewing these posts on mask leak. Last night it started at about 16, having been 0 all night previously. So, I must have fitted it incorrectly, but I have no clue what I did differently. Straps were unchanged, snug but not too tight. I switched to sleeping on my side, early on, and maybe by doing that before the mask had conformed fully, it immediately started to leak? Does the mask leak test feature actually work on the Resmed; the smiley face icon is meaningless for me. I am ending my first month with the new mask and maybe the Mem foam is losing its marbles, but that does not look like the case from visual inspection. Anyway, I had a terrible night's sleep, the first in several weeks, even though my AHI was under 1.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes the memory foam mask cushion is not as long lasting as silicone. I have a few of the memory foam cushions for my F20 and really couldn't get it to seal well so I stopped using it.

The ResMed mask fit grinning and frowning ghouls are going to drive you crazy. I'd rather just lie back, start the PAP, place the mask on without straps and hold it in place, adjusting tension to get it leak free. Then adding mask straps, adjusting them to same tension. From there adjust slightly to prevent leaks while you move on the bed. Going tight and causing pain is not acceptable BTW. Then finally use OSCAR to monitor leak rates. Skip the mask fit and preserve your sanity.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks. so far the memory foam has been the best, and I am allergic, seriously actually allergic, to Resmed's new softer silicone.  If last night does repeat itself, I will be getting another memory foam cushion any day, and it will be interesting to see if that works better.  I really did not hear much of any leak at 15 l per minute, although it for sure messed with my sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I did extensive researching on this forum about the F20 Airtouch (foam) mask cushion when I had to go to a full face mask. Found many user's comments that it needed to be worn pretty tight--and that is the truth! After a few nights of adjustments I finally got it to stop the small leaks that kept me awake and really like the mask. I've also read the posts about the cushion problems with deterioration. I put my cushion in on 6 January and so far it is OK--no tears or stiffness or more leaks noted. I think replacement cushions are expensive if you have to replace them monthly and don't have insurance (which I do) that covers them. Now most of my leaks appear to be flat-topped (indicating mouth leaks) rather than mask leaks (sharp points). I adjust this mask once or twice a night and it is very clear when that happens with the spike and higher leak rate shown on Oscar.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply.  I called my supplier in Northern California, CPAP Services out of San Jose and they are immediately sending 2 new memory foam inserts, free.  I have great insurance and this supplier is really quite generous; I will get a new memory foam insert every month.  It seemed odd that all of a sudden I had a leak when I had none, previously, for the prior month.  I had loosened the straps just a bit, two days before.  The first night, no leak, second night, a 15 per min from the start.  So, was the mask deforming, just a bit, enough for this small leak I couldn't even hear?  It really did mess with my sleep, though! Tonight, I will tighten it up, but certainly not to the point of pain.  It will leave indentations on my face most of the day, for sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I like the F20 foam cushions a lot, but it does seem like they wear out faster; I think that might be the or one of the things causing leaks for me. It seems like I have to get the mask really, really tight after using it for a few weeks, as others have mentioned.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wow, I'm going backwards here. Replaced my hose, elbow, and mask cushion, and AHI is going up; last night was 9.49, night before was 10.02. My mask feels snug and I'm not hearing/feeling any leaks. Any ideas on how to lower the AHI? Screenshot below.

Post Reply Post Reply
You are getting pretty heavy clusters of CA events. I think your best move is to reduce EPR from 3 to 2 to try to reduce that. Let's make minimum pressure 7.0, maximum pressure 11.0, EPR 2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2021, 09:47 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You are getting pretty heavy clusters of CA events.  I think your best move is to reduce EPR from 3 to 2 to try to reduce that.  Let's make minimum pressure 7.0, maximum pressure 11.0, EPR 2.

Will try that, thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-09-2021, 09:47 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You are getting pretty heavy clusters of CA events.  I think your best move is to reduce EPR from 3 to 2 to try to reduce that.  Let's make minimum pressure 7.0, maximum pressure 11.0, EPR 2.

OK, here's last night's report, with above recommendations implemented.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 406 3 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 241 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 527 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.