Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] humidifier settings for high altitude
humidifier settings for high altitude
I have a travel Devilbiss cpap machine with humidifier. I live at basically sea level and I am in Colorado mountains on vacation. I keep my heater setting on 4 normally however in the dry climate I am getting a little bleeding nose and waking up with a dry mouth. I haven't had this machine long and haven't had these problems with my ResMed S9 with humidifier set on 80. Of course I haven't used it in this high, dry climate. Would I turn the 4 on the Devilbiss up or down to improve dry mouth and nose? Also will it be a problem for me if I get the nose bleed during the nights while on my machine and don't know it. It is mostly bleeding when I blow my nose not a stream that I have to stop. Any suggestions are welcome. I am new to the forum and so glad I found you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: humidifier settings for high altitude
Hi wnorrick,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try turning it up a notch and see if that would help you.
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Best of luck and have a good vacation.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I found the following info from the Divilbiss humidifier brochure:
The heater setting can be adjusted in a range of 1 to 10. The optimum temperature setting is dependent on the ambient temperature and humidity of your room. If your room temperature is low and/or the relative humidity is high, then a lower temperature setting may be necessary for optimum comfort. The heater setting of 1 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 84°F (29°C). The heater setting of 10 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 149°F (65°C).

If your humidifier goes up to 10 and you only have it on 4, I would recommend trying it on 6. If that's too much, cut back to 5. If it doesn't seem enough, go up to 7 or 8. Unfortunately in a new situation it's a lot of trial and error.

As long as you are sleeping fine, I wouldn't worry about the nosebleed that is noticeable when you blow your nose. But I will add that I'm no expert on the matter. I'm basing this on the fact that I used to get a lot of nosebleeds as a kid and young adult. I usually only noticed them when I blew my nose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for your replies. I will turn it up to 6 tonight and see what happens. I am so happy I found the forum as there is a wealth of information here and people like you so willing to help others.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2013, 10:31 PM)iSnooze Wrote: The heater setting of 1 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 84°F (29°C). The heater setting of 10 results in a heater plate temperature of approximately 149°F (65°C).
The S9 humidifier temperature can be set between 16-30C (61-86F) 16C (61F) being the lowest and 30C (86F) the highest

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 288 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 104 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  [Pressure] High pressure Tomarovsch 1 109 04-12-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  ResMed Humidifier Tub Change? Reesche 12 360 04-09-2024, 12:46 AM
Last Post: Reesche
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 130 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] How to stop rain out from external humidifier? SluggerBaloney 7 254 04-02-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: SluggerBaloney
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 180 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.