Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience
CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience
Hi all!

I just wanna let you know my exprience with high altitude CPAP therapy.

I'm 1.85mt, 120 kgs guy.
Doctor prescribed a pressure of 8, in CPAP Fixed mode.
I work at 14000 ft (4200 meteres above sea level) for 8 straight days.

This last month I noticed I didn't sleep well. So, yesterday I came to this forum. In consecuence I increased this first night to 9.5.

It was marvellous. I was well rested.

Same sleep time (6 hours). I will keep reporting next week when I get back to work.

As always, take this as my own expreience and do everything at your own risk.

Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP in High Altitidue - Own Experience
I started out on CPAP and noticed a difference when traveling to the flatlands. I slept better at the lower altitude but I think it was due more to better oxygen supply as opposed to any PAP therapy.

When returning to my normal mountain elevation (9,500+ feet) I did start to step up pressure incrementally. I was still having difficulties up high at home.

Eventually my doctor switched modes to APAP and let the machine do it for me. Since doing this change about 4 weeks ago i have been sleeping better than ever.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 11:20 AM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: I started out on CPAP and noticed a difference when traveling to the flatlands.  I slept better at the lower altitude but I think it was due more to better oxygen supply as opposed to any PAP therapy.  

When returning to my normal mountain elevation (9,500+ feet) I did start to step up pressure incrementally.  I was still having difficulties up high at home.  

Eventually my doctor switched modes to APAP and let the machine do it for me.  Since doing this change about 4 weeks ago i have been sleeping better than ever.

This is what I was looking for. I'm switching my CPAP to an APAP to see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have mild apnea symptoms. My prescribed pressure was 7.0 and I experimented incrementally over the past year up to 8.4 before settling back into 7.4 before the switch to APAP. Upon switching, my doctor prescribed APAP variable pressure range of 6.0 - 12.0.

Very comfortable for me now especially upon returning to the nasal pillows in the wee hours after taking a pee.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2017, 12:25 PM)S.L. Ping Beauty Wrote: I have mild apnea symptoms.  My prescribed pressure was 7.0 and I experimented incrementally over the past year up to 8.4 before settling back into 7.4 before the switch to APAP.    Upon switching, my doctor prescribed APAP variable pressure range of 6.0 - 12.0.  

Very comfortable for me now especially upon returning to the nasal pillows in the wee hours after taking a pee.

This is great to know. I just ordered the Dramstation Go Auto.
I'll be reporting back how it behaves on high altitude. Device should be in my country on the 21st.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 418 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 103 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 701 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,433 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.