Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] leaking mask
leaking mask
anyone have any suggestions about how not to get my mask from leaking into my eyes. I have a very thick , short neck, small recessed chin. I'm 5'9", 290 lbs and I just can't fall asleep with the mask on. Im a side sleeper so the mask moves. My mask is a Phillips respironics comfort gel full. pressure is at 8 to 16. cpap machine is a Phillips respironics REMstar auto 550P.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: leaking mask
G'day ddjstoner56, welcome to Apnea Board.

Leaking masks are the bane of our lives, and the hardest part of the whole CPAP circus. Here are a few things you might try, in no particular order:

- Try adjusting the tension on the headgear: increase top / reduce bottom, or vice versa; decrease all; increase all
- Try a mask liner such as a Pad-a-Cheek or Remzzz
- Try a different make / model of full face mask (make sure you have a 30 day return guarantee or similar)
- Try a different type of mask, eg nasal mask or nasal pillows (pillows will be problematic if your pressure is frequently up near your maximum) - ditto about the return guarantee.

Hope this helps
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi djjstoner56,
This is after you've mastered leaks in general, along the pillow lines, for sidesleeping,someone on here had suggested 2 soft pillows . one crossways on the bottom , one lengthwise on top ,so mask can hang over the side . I usually prop my hand under the top pillow at the widest part of mask and that's how I start the night ..... after that well who knows ,but it works. Hope it may help.
Take care,
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ddjstoner56,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and fine tuning it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would also add to consider different sizes of the same mask if you otherwise like the mask. While waiting for my first CPAP I did a lot of research on this and other places on the web and one thing that seemed common was going through several masks trying to find the best fit since everyone is different.

I now have four mask models - one of them in small, medium and large sizes. I had significant problems with my F&P Simplus FFM in medium and large but small worked the best for me in that model. However, after working pretty well for a while I recently had problems with leaks at the bridge of my nose as well as a small pressure sore developing from trying to stop those leaks.

So, I bought yet another mask - a ResMed AirFit F10 FFM. I took a chance on a medium and so far I'm quite happy with it. IMHO and limited experience, it seems to seal better than the Simplus and also seems more comfortable to me - and perhaps even best, it does not seem to put a pressure point on my nose bridge like the Simplus (small) did. The medium and large Simplus were better for pressure points, but they leaked terribly at my nose bridge.

I don't know how long you've been on CPAP but I sure haven't been on it very long in the grand scheme of things. I guess my point is that there is likely an all-around good working mask for everyone but it may take a while to find it.

By the way, I sleep on my side, stomach, back, whatever. I never wake up in the same position I start in. For side sleeping and comfort I really loved the AirFit P10 nasal pillows but unfortunately I tend to leak from my mouth. Not always but one bad night is too many for me anymore so I do what I can to TRY preventing it. With the full face masks I initially go to sleep on my side with just the top of my head (above the mask) on the bottom corner of my pillow and my bent arm somewhere lower supporting my neck. What I do after falling asleep is anyone's guess and I do occasionally nudge it a bit but that is where a better fitting (less prone to leaks) FFM can help. With the Simplus it could leak just by nudging it left or right if it was just a bit too high or low on my nose. The new F10 seems to have a wider range of nudging tolerance, at least for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 388 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 347 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
  Was doing well, AHI slightly higher, lots of leaking between 4-5am. jkang9080 4 569 12-14-2023, 01:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Equipment] I have to CRANK down my full face mask to prevent leaking. What am I doing wrong? srwilsn3 17 1,464 12-13-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  leaking water tank ( Airsense 10) migos 2 522 09-16-2023, 06:21 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  AirFit F30i is leaking and I don't know what to do NoddingHacker 7 2,330 06-15-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: sttebr
  Good AHI and good oxygen levels - CPAP Leaking yp390 1 499 03-31-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.