Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP linked to dental problems??
CPAP linked to dental problems??
I wonder if there is a link between dental problems (long term) and CPAP therapy? In my case trying to achieve lower mask leaks and tightening of lower straps caused sores on my gums. Still working on achieving lower mask leaks with minimum success.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP linked to dental problems??
(07-20-2016, 07:51 PM)Roy289 Wrote: I wonder if there is a link between dental problems (long term) and CPAP therapy? In my case trying to achieve lower mask leaks and tightening of lower straps caused sores on my gums. Still working on achieving lower mask leaks with minimum success.

My dentist has noted a long-term (since 2008) displacement in my teeth and postulated (but could not confirm) that it may be due to tightened mask straps or the use of a chin strap. She also warned about the possible mask side-effects of TMJ.

Of course, this is dependent on the mask used. I am currently using a ResMed Mirage Activa LT with tightened lower straps.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Pressure on the upper teeth is something I have as well and one reason for my question on long term dental issues. Wearing dental appliance can align teeth so having pressure on teeth 7 to 8 hrs per day may not be good.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2016, 07:51 PM)Roy289 Wrote: I wonder if there is a link between dental problems (long term) and CPAP therapy? In my case trying to achieve lower mask leaks and tightening of lower straps caused sores on my gums. Still working on achieving lower mask leaks with minimum success.

I think that what you probably need is a better mask. Go back to your DME and insist. Keep insisting until you get one that works for you.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'll throw this out there... dry mouth may do more damage that mechanical tension to the teeth.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It was dry mouth (mouth breathing, lip leaking) that sprang to mind for me. The tension on my mask straps seems very unlikely to cause dental displacement problems. The OSA dental devices that advance the lower jaw are a different story.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth will kill teeth faster than an overly tight mask will cause alignment issues. Saliva is important (very very important) for teeth health as its chemistry balances and takes care of the sugars that can cause cavities. Anything that messes with the saliva is bad for teeth.

If you have a mask that you have to keep so tight that healthy teeth and gums are hurting, you need a different mask. Period. Chin straps pull at the jaw in a different way and should not interfere with teeth.

If you think those teeth are NOT healthy, then take your mask with you to the dentist.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
When I first started Cpap, I was mouth breathing a lot. Two to three times a night, it would wake me with the sound of that air whooshing out of my mouth. i call it dry cotton mouth!

I started to have problems with my gums bleeding. I didn't realize other than the discomfort of the dry mouth how serious this was. My dentist took one look, and told me if I didn't get it under control, it would cause my teeth to loosen. That's when I took on the chin strap and learned the tongue technique. Never had a problem once I got that under control.

Although overtightening straps to the point of pain is not good, it shouldn't affect teeth and gums.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 17 1,889 3 hours ago
Last Post: clan
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 454 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 144 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 213 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,703 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  UARS linked to flow rate or fluctuating breathing? Willgetthere 9 851 12-15-2023, 06:35 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,820 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.