Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP low blood pressure contraindications
CPAP low blood pressure contraindications
How low is too low of BP to use CPAP or bipap?

I'm wondering if BP is what is making me a little fatigued and sometimes have a dizzy feeling. Before starting therapy my BP ran 130/90,"140/90. Now it is consistently 100/60 in early morning and evenings some days.

This seems a little low. I'm taking Multaq and very low dose Bystolic and Xarelto for afib. But I think it's the BIPAP causing the low blood pressure. My doctors never said I had too low of BP. But I wonder when o go to sleep how low it actually goes?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP low blood pressure contraindications
You're looking at the wrong end of the stick, thanks to your xPAP theraphy your hypertension is well treated and 100/60 isnt too low, its the best optimal it can be statistically. Your right at the spot with lowest risks of everything cardiac/stroke related. If you feel fatigued when night comes more than you'd like you can take some over the counter herb based bloodflow enchancers or eat some garlic.

You can also potentially ask your cardiologist to lower one of your meds if you feel lightheaded, with xPAP you're already treating the hypertension.

EDIT

I knew the name Xarelto from somewhere : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klR-vSkz4xc

Maybe go back to oldschool Warfarin/Aspirin? I don't really know what your Afib source problem is, read about the Watchman Implant as an alternative.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2018, 01:23 AM)crowtor Wrote: You're looking at the wrong end of the stick, thanks to your xPAP theraphy your hypertension is well treated and 100/60 isnt too low, its the best optimal it can be statistically. Your right at the spot with lowest risks of everything cardiac/stroke related. If you feel fatigued when night comes more than you'd like you can take some over the counter herb based bloodflow enchancers or eat some garlic.

You can also potentially ask your cardiologist to lower one of your meds if you feel lightheaded, with xPAP you're already treating the hypertension.

EDIT

I knew the name Xarelto from somewhere : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klR-vSkz4xc

Maybe go back to oldschool Warfarin/Aspirin? I don't really know what your Afib source problem is, read about the Watchman Implant as an alternative.

Thanks for the info. Interesting video from a talk show called "Ring of Fire". HAHA! These type of talk shows crack me up, but also irritate me as much as the fake UFO videos. Anyone can make a talk show and make it look like they are in a studio, with all those lower-third graphics. 

Anyway, I don't think the Watchman would help me. I have a clotting disorder that makes me clot more then normal people. My hematologist tried full dose Aspirin and I went from 2015 to May 2018 fine, and then got another clot in my leg, and multiple huge clots filling both lungs (DVT/PE). Aspirin wont work for me. I could try Warfarin, but that has a lot of food restrictions, and routine testing of blood to keep your INR in-check.

I still get blood work done every few months, and just had it done on Monday. My clotting "D-Dimer" test was within range. So I shouldn't be bleeding anywhere and also not making any clots.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
If my blood pressure gets much below 110/70, I start feeling worse and getting dizzy, especially when I stand up after sitting. I’ve taken multiple blood pressure medications for several years. My blood pressure did drop a little when I started cpap. 

For the last several months I have been paying more attention to my diet with the hope of lowering or eliminating some of the prescription medications I take now. The improved diet has significantly lowered my blood pressure resulting in the necessity of lowering the dosage on some of my medications to prevent the pressure from dropping too low. 

It may be worthwhile consulting with your doctor to see if your medications need to be adjusted to address the issues you are having. My wife had weight loss surgery a couple of years ago and started having issues with low blood pressure due to the weight loss and change in diet. She doesn’t take blood pressure medication. The solution for her was to increase her sodium intake slightly. 

The blood pressure guidelines are just that, guidelines. What may be good for some aren’t necessarily good for everyone. As we age the risk of serious injuries from falls due to dizziness could outway the risks of slightly elevated blood pressure levels, as defined by the guidelines.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
everything i've read and heard from my dr agrees with this from mayo clinic: Most doctors consider blood pressure too low only if it causes symptoms. Some experts define low blood pressure as readings lower than 90 mm Hg systolic or 60 mm Hg diastolic. If either number is below that, your pressure is lower than normal. A sudden fall in blood pressure can be dangerous.

my by is usually below 90 / more than 60.

talk to your doctor.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 278 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Dizziness and ear pressure/fullness after using cpap dizzy1 0 181 02-10-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: dizzy1
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 581 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.