Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machine causing bloating
Brick 
CPAP machine causing bloating
I finally gotten used to my machine after trying several types of mask. However, one problem remains. When I wake up I feel bloated from swallowing too much air. I initially thought it had to do with the mask, so I switched to a full face. I tried the straps to no avail.
Anyone experienced this, and if so what was the solution?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP machine causing bloating
Yes, it is called aerophagia. It doesn't matter the mask, it is more about position.

Do a forum search for that term and see all the stuff that comes up!
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rum-Search

For most of us, it goes away with time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Trooper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hopefully the bloating will subside over time.
If it is really bothering you, you might talk to your dock about it.
Hang in there for more suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-02-2014, 09:27 PM)Trooper Wrote: I finally gotten used to my machine after trying several types of mask.

Hi Trooper,

Looks like you are just starting out. It's great that you are making progress.

I think a bigger problem than aerophagia (in the long term, at least) is that your machine is not data capable.

If you have very recently received your machine, if it would be at all possible, please do yourself a huge favor by taking the Remstar "Plus" machine back to the supplier and saying you'll be changing to a supplier who will sell you a fully data-capable machine, not the "brick" they are trying to pass off on you.

(After claiming it is not possible to make a change, if you stick to your guns and insist they take it back, they will probably exchange the machine for a "Pro" or an "Auto" model which reports full data, including "Flow" data. The "Flow" is the rate of airflow in your lungs during inhalation and exhalation, and is often very useful for spotting various problems, so that the therapy settings can be better optimized for you, so you will have a greater chance of full success in achieving best health benefits.)

For your own sake, I think you are going to need to be polite but assertive about getting a better machine.

Before returning the machine, though, I suggest you first contact your health insurance company to see what other Durable Medical Equipment (DME) providers are in your insurance network. You can call each of them until you find one who would be happy to supply a fully data-capable machine, in order to win your business. (In my view, by forcing on you a "brick" they have already reneged on their duty to provide adequate equipment, and, if possible, it would be best to simply return the machine and change suppliers.)

I suggest you consider carefully these recommendations for machine choices:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My wife had a lot of trouble with that same problem. One was her getting used to pressure.

But two other things contribute to it as I have watched her after she goes to sleep. If shes has post nasal drip from a cold etc the humidity will clear her out but she will swallow quite a bit thru the night as it does. She will invariably wake up with worse "gas" at those times.

Also if she has leaks of any consequence the same will happen because of her mouth drying out and her swallowing because of that.

Thankfully we have gotten both problems pretty much under control once she got used to breathing pressurized air. Now she only has the occasional morning of some burping but not the distended belly and pain.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 87 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 305 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 624 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,730 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 264 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 366 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.