Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machine choice for sailor
RE: CPAP machine choice for sailor
(02-10-2015, 08:32 PM)SailingAway Wrote: Archangle,
If you look at the link in your footer under Useful links, for the file I referenced above.
198103r3_batteryguide_glo_eng.pdf and go back to around page 12-13 you'll see the actual amperage draw by each ResMed machine in various configs, with/without humidifier etc, at about 5 different pressure settings.

Like to find something like that for Respironics.

I'd like to find that for Respironics as well, but they are very stingy about publishing technical information.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Been looking at the power usage of the ResMed S9. I am amazed at how low the power consumption is that is listed in their publication.
http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

At 12 cm/H2O setting with the converter, (not the inverter which is more energy inefficient by about 50%), the power usage should be approximately 7.8 watts. Is that even possible? I anticipate I won't be using the humidifier or heated lines on the boat. The power really drops off drastically. I guess all the 60/80/90 watt power supplies that come with the units have to work all the extra toys, but I'm really surprised it drops off that much. The converter is $69 which of course isn't necessary with the Respironics unit. One of the online suppliers told me today that they just dropped the System One units $100. But, I also think that given our next few years will be French Polynesia, Fiji and then either New Zealand and/or Australia I might have better luck getting the ResMed serviced since they are built in Oz.

Also wasn't aware that none of the retailers on the Supplier List can sell/ship ResMed or Respironic units out of the country. Not sure what's up with that exactly, but was told that by three different ones.

Choices choices....
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2015, 11:53 PM)SailingAway Wrote: Been looking at the power usage of the ResMed S9. I am amazed at how low the power consumption is that is listed in their publication.
http://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/a...lo_eng.pdf

At 12 cm/H2O setting with the converter, (not the inverter which is more energy inefficient by about 50%), the power usage should be approximately 7.8 watts. Is that even possible? I anticipate I won't be using the humidifier or heated lines on the boat. The power really drops off drastically. I guess all the 60/80/90 watt power supplies that come with the units have to work all the extra toys, but I'm really surprised it drops off that much. The converter is $69 which of course isn't necessary with the Respironics unit. One of the online suppliers told me today that they just dropped the System One units $100. But, I also think that given our next few years will be French Polynesia, Fiji and then either New Zealand and/or Australia I might have better luck getting the ResMed serviced since they are built in Oz.

Also wasn't aware that none of the retailers on the Supplier List can sell/ship ResMed or Respironic units out of the country. Not sure what's up with that exactly, but was told that by three different ones.

Choices choices....

If I measure AC power usage on my S9 or PRS1 machines AC power usage with a Kill-a-Watt, I get around 10 watts average usage with 16 CM pressure and no humidifier.

They aren't allowed to ship out of the country because of the manufacturer's policies. I'm sure they claim legal reasons, but I suspect it's to protect profit margins of their distributors.

Some people have use package forwarding services or friends to get around these problems.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a cpap in a semi truck sleeper on
12v all the time

As of Feb 2015 resmed doesn't have a 12v power supply for the s10 yet. That is a good reason to get the older s9. Phillips has good cpap too.

Ditto what archangel posted. While expensive the resmed power brick saves on battery drain. Converting 12v to 110v you lose efficiency at the inverter

Heated humidification takes lots of power. 185 watts max with blower and humidifier. I've got huge batteries on the semi and they won't run cpap with humidification for 8 hrs.

Look at a portable cpap like Transcend or Z1. I have a transcend as a backup. It's got a solar power option for charging batteries.

Instead of heated humidification look at nasal irrigation. You rinse your sinuses with sterile saline solution. Sounds gross but feels good. Neil med makes prepackaged spray bottle stuff that works for me in the truck without a good source for water.

You are going to run into some issues getting started on cpap. Plan ahead and don't be afraid to ask questions.

(Just a truck driver with sleep apnea )
Post Reply Post Reply
Truckerdad,
I am hoping I won't need humidification on the boat due to warm temps and already high humidity. If the numbers from the Resmed chart are correct the power side should be no problem. We have 1250 Ah of AGMS onboard and an excess of solar, at least at the equator where we tend to hang out.

We have plenty of water onboard, (desal/RO) but I'll look into the spray.

I thought maybe I'd look at something like the Transend as a backup. Thought I'd check out the #2 on the Suppliers list and see what they have in slightly used.

Everything is on order. The only thing I'm a little concerned about is making sure the mask situation is resolved in the short time before I depart. We'll see. Got a couple different ones coming to try.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,417 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 229 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 154 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 190 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 405 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 856 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 270 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.