Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machine mishap
CPAP machine mishap
Hello All.
Well...it happened! My brand new Philips Dream Station Pro fell off the night stand last night. Has this happened to others? How sturdy are these machines? I ran a diagnostic and performance seems OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP machine mishap
Yep, I’ve pulled my machine off the night stand twice now.  It landed right side up, no water splash.

I use the DreamStation’s predecessor, Respironics 60 Series APAP....it’s built like a tank and is still running strong.  

Although, when my machine started to fall, I tried to stop the fall by grabbing it and ended up injuring my thumb.  I pulled a ligament in my thumb that has taken a very long time to heal.  So the only mishap was to me not my machine.  Oh-jeez
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've pulled my DreamStation off the nightstand twice. No damage except for some spilled water. Before that, I dropped my PR Series-M many, many times over the years. It never hurt the machine. If there is no obvious damage I'm sure you're OK.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 10:31 AM)bluesboybob Wrote: I've pulled my DreamStation off the nightstand twice. No damage except for some spilled water. Before that, I dropped my PR Series-M many, many times over the years. It never hurt the machine. If there is no obvious damage I'm sure you're OK.

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 10:11 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Yep, I’ve pulled my machine off the night stand twice now.  It landed right side up, no water splash.

I use the DreamStation’s predecessor, Respironics 60 Series APAP....it’s built like a tank and is still running strong.  

Although, when my machine started to fall, I tried to stop the fall by grabbing it and ended up injuring my thumb.  I pulled a ligament in my thumb that has taken a very long time to heal.  So the only mishap was to me not my machine.  Oh-jeez

Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a bedside metal file cabinet that I place my machine on. It has a smooth, slick top. My machine has rubber feet on it, so initially, it wasn't a concern in regards to sliding around any. 

But, since my machine sits very close to the edge of the file cabinet, I used some Rubbermaid Grip Liner. It comes in a roll and you simply cut off what you need. I've used it for many years for various purposes. 

The stuff is amazing! It grips whatever is placed on it, and doesn't let go. Since having placed it under my machine, it's now as secure as can be. 

It's economical, easy to use, and can be cleaned if / when necessary. It works on most any surface that I know of. It's available in many colors as well. I just use the plain ole black. 

Do a search of it and you'll most likely recognize what I'm talking about. I wasn't sure that if I posted a pic of it, that it would have been okay.  Dont-know

I've also used some on the bottom of an ice cooler / chest of ours. Our car (Honda Element) has plastic floor mats in it, and they are very slick. With the liner glued to the bottom of our ice chest, it does not slide around at all.

Here in AZ., it can and does get very hot. If you are on a road trip, you are wise to take water and drinks with you. We do all the time. The liner on the bottom of our large ice chest was one of the best uses to date.
Post Reply Post Reply
It’s ok to post pics....just no links to commercial sites. Smile
If there is a link in the pic, you will have to edit and remove it first.

I’ve been using the rubber grip liner too. I haven’t pulled the machine off the night stand since I use it. If it gets dusty, I just cut another piece and replace it.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 01:23 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It’s ok to post pics....just no links to commercial sites.  Smile

I’ve been using the rubber grip liner too.  I haven’t pulled the machine off the night stand since I use it.  If it gets dusty, I just cut another piece and replace it.

I had a feeling that you had a good head on your shoulders. Smart lady!  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 02:08 PM)Big Guy Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 01:23 PM)OpalRose Wrote: It’s ok to post pics....just no links to commercial sites.  Smile

I’ve been using the rubber grip liner too.  I haven’t pulled the machine off the night stand since I use it.  If it gets dusty, I just cut another piece and replace it.

Now if I could just get my thumb to heal. Never try to grab a heavy falling object when your half asleep. Rolleyes
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 03:26 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-07-2019, 02:08 PM)Big Guy Wrote:

Now if I could just get my thumb to heal.  Never try to grab a heavy falling object when your half asleep.   Rolleyes

No worse than letting one of your cats in the front door, standing too close to the door with your left foot, swinging the door open and taking off most of your left big toenail. 

I'm a big ole tough guy and I can effectively deal with most any kind of pain. But man oh man.........was that ever an eye opener.  Bug-eyed

BTW......that was the 2nd time I lost most of that toenail. The 1st time was years ago while in a gym. I dropped a 45 lb. weight on it.

Lucky for me, they keep growing back.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,059 Yesterday, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 218 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 146 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 180 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 399 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 832 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 253 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.