Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machine mishap
RE: CPAP machine mishap
Thank you very much. Will give it a try!
Post Reply Post Reply
I toss and turn a lot, so my machine will periodically get pulled. I've done two things:
a. turn the machine around. I face it away from me, so a yank will pull the hose out before the machine moves.
b. ribbon clip to bed. I tied a ribbon around the hose near the machine, and clipped it to the side of the bed. When I move too far, the tension pulls on that first, not the machine or hose attachment.

The dog is happy I did this. He used to be on the line of fall.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, multiple times here. I just refill the humidifier, and get back at it.

Although... It hasn't toppled since I started hanging my hose from a lanyard by my bed. Anchoring the hose helps. Now if I accidentally tug too hard on the hose during the night, the lanyard provides the resistance to alert me to stop pulling before it's too late.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-07-2019, 10:20 PM)trailrider Wrote: I toss and turn a lot, so my machine will periodically get pulled.  I've done two things:
a. turn the machine around.  I face it away from me, so a yank will pull the hose out before the machine moves.
b. ribbon clip to bed.  I tied a ribbon around the hose near the machine, and clipped it to the side of the bed.  When I move too far, the tension pulls on that first, not the machine or hose attachment.

The dog is happy I did this.  He used to be on the line of fall.

Same here. Good idea about the ribbon. I will try that. At home it's not a problem. My machine has always taken falls when I'm traveling and the table is not in a good place.
It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you get there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe get a small rubber mat to place underneath the machine.  You can't get a good night's rest if your machine ends up on the floor!
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-09-2019, 09:11 AM)AZSleepDprived Wrote: Maybe get a small rubber mat to place underneath the machine.  You can't get a good night's rest if your machine ends up on the floor!

Mine is already on the floor, that's where it "lives"..  Grin

And the hose is clipped to the bed head via a lanyard so it has an arc above my head to minimise the possibility of condensation running in to my mask (though I no longer put water in the humidifier, so that isn't really a problem).. I toss and turn all night with back and shoulder pain, at worst the mask gets dislodged and loses the air seal on my face, which then wakes me up.

So all in all, my machine is about as safe as any CPAP/APAP is likely to be when it comes to the risk of damage from falling... unless I fall out of bed and land on it. 
Oh-jeez Dielaughing
(but with the new bed it is actually now tucked under the edge out of the way)
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a hose buddy with my 10 foot hose. Don't have a problem with pulling the machine off the table, but every so often I feel like a boa constrictor has moved into the bed. 10' is a little too long, but the 6' won't quite work. May have to break down and buy an 8'.
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
My CPAP also lives down low close to the floor and my hose is held overhead by a homemade hose keeper, works well. One of my O2 concentrators had a different experience. It rolled out of the rear door of our Yukon, hit the asphalt and actually bounced. Except for some heavy scars on the case the machine was fine. After that we started paying more attention to securing the machine.
Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
My son uses Velcro on his airsense and nightstand after flipping it over too many times.
I use Velcro on my S9 Vpap S which now lives on my carpet after 6 years of pulling it off the nightstand. It works.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2019, 08:48 PM)Elgeeone Wrote: My son uses Velcro on his airsense and nightstand after flipping it over too many times.
I use Velcro on my S9 Vpap S which now lives on my carpet after 6 years of pulling it off the nightstand. It works.

If you are concerned about it sucking carpet fibres in to the machine, or the humidifier heating element overheating and setting fire to the carpet.. try placing the machine on a nylon kitchen chopping board.

I found one that is the perfect size under my Dreamstation, it also fits in the CPAP bag under the machine when travelling.. and I'm much happier sitting the chopping board on the floor/carpet in a motel room rather than the machine itself, I can wash the chopping board and sterilize it when packing my CPAP up to move on. (if you can't find one the exact size you need, you can cut one down to suit)
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 629 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,742 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,293 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.