Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: h5i
CPAP Pressure: 12/14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Sad CPAP machine not calibrated?
Hello,

My machine flew off the table the other night and fell about four feet and landed upside down on carpet. Since the fall, I'm getting pressure, but it feels like a reduced pressure (wake up abruptly gasping for air as soon as I fall asleep).

I'm getting the indicator that there are no leaks (green happy face). Took to my local CPAP shop, and she hooked up the manometer to the device and it read 8.8 / 8.9 even though the unit was set for 12. Shouldn't the manometer read around 12 as well? My suspicions were confirmed when I took it back home and raised my base pressure from 12 to 15'ish and it seems to function as before.

I don't think I should just assume its 3" w.c. off and would like it repaired. I've had it more than 2 years, so it's no longer covered under warranty.

Should the manometer read '12' if the machine is set to 12? (no ramp - it just goes straight to 12)... and any suggestions on repairs?

thnx! Coffee
-Xy
04-16-2014 03:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

RE: CPAP machine not calibrated?
Hi Xyloc, welcome aboard
The manometer should read whatever the set pressure, if set pressure 12 ... the manometer should read 12

Was any water in the tank when the machine fell?
Where about are you? some US on-line suppliers ship overseas
04-16-2014 03:58 AM
Xyloc Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed s9
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: h5i
CPAP Pressure: 12/14

Other Comments:

You're my hero for the quick response (thank you!)

Yes, there was water in the attached humidfier (I was sleeping when it fell.. I can only guess I was in the middle of a dream where I was conducting an orchestra to pull that thing off the side table - hahhahhaa), and was concerned water got in the 'business' end...

And, I assumed it should've read 12 as well, but I specifically bundled up all of my CPAP 'gear' to have them test it cuz they're the experts, right? (/sigh)...

I'm in San Jose, CA. They said (I'm paraphrasing): I don't see anything wrong with your unit. If you want, we can send your machine to ResMed for them to inspect/repair the unit and you can rent a CPAP machine from us for $350 per month.

-Xy

(04-16-2014 03:58 AM)zonk Wrote:  Hi Xyloc, welcome aboard
The manometer should read whatever the set pressure, if set pressure 12 ... the manometer should read 12

Was any water in the tank when the machine fell?
Where about are you? some US on-line suppliers ship overseas
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 04:13 AM by Xyloc.)
04-16-2014 04:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

Anytime a machine is compromised like that it should certainly be checked by someone who knows what they are doing.
Your local CPAP shop seems to not know!
Now, whether it should read 12 depends on the machine. Running "dead head" it may only put out the EPR pressure.

Most likely water got into both the flow meter and pressure sensor; and the machine is kaputt. The actual sensors are on the main circuit board, so they'll have to replace that.

Since you're out of warranty, the repair and rental cost likely exceed the cost for a better, zero hour, machine from one of the suppliers on the list.
I'm thinking, open box special from Supplier #2. They expedite shipping and you can have it in one day. (But, do check their settings.)

You might wish to rethink where you put your next machine. A clean location on the floor might be better. Or a 3 meter hose looped around a solid, immovable object.
I don't move much at night; so, I don't pull on the hose.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2014 06:00 AM by justMongo.)
04-16-2014 05:41 AM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi Xyloc,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It might be just as well for you to look at Supplier #2 on the suppliers list here on the board. They have some good deals on either open-boxed or gently-used machines.
Another thing you could do is to get some sort of hose management system or make one, so that you don't knock your machine off in the future.
Best of luck and hang in there for more suggestions.

trish6hundred
04-16-2014 09:15 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Let me get this straight, when set at 12 cmH2O the manometer read 8.8/8.9 cmH2O and the DME said they couldn't find anything wrong??? Sounds like you might be going to the same DME as a lot of others here....Oh-jeez

You could get your own manometer (google it, can get them at a reasonable price) and use that to set your machine and check it regularly.

If it were me, I would feel better paying to have it repaired or seeing what kind of deal I could get from Supplier #2 on a new "open box" or used machine. Might be worth giving #2 a call and explain the situation - he might be able to take your broken (or out of adjustment) one in trade if it can be fixed...but I'm not sure about that last part.

Sleep-well
04-16-2014 04:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Use CPAP machine to get a new baseline AHI? blueelement2016 5 351 11-12-2016 01:37 AM
Last Post: blueelement2016
  New CPAP Machine cerenkov 3 308 10-28-2016 08:43 PM
Last Post: cerenkov
  [Pressure] Adjusting pressure on RESmart CPAP machine garyd86421 5 457 10-20-2016 10:32 AM
Last Post: garyd86421
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 2 6,157 10-12-2016 11:37 AM
Last Post: DariaVader
  [CPAP] Service Required Error Codes - Inner Workings of a CPAP machine SuperSleeper 18 65,570 10-10-2016 01:48 PM
Last Post: juan345
  CPAP Machine Release Cycles DevChuck 5 355 10-10-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: PoolQ
  [CPAP] can pacemaker users use CPAP machine wt92555 10 529 10-02-2016 07:16 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred