Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machines and nightstands??
CPAP machines and nightstands??
Are there any suggestions for how high the nightstand should be when the CPAP machine is placed upon it? I've had the same nightstand for quite some time, only now we have a new bed and the bed is just slightly higher than the nightstand? Sorry for what must sound like a silly question, but in my original sleep study they said to sit the machine on the floor. However I decided not to do that as my cat would play with the hose and accidentally turn on the machine with her paw.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP machines and nightstands??
Hi GrammaBear,
Some people here on the board say that the machine should set on something a bit lower than the bed but my nightstand is slightly higher than my bed and I don't have any trouble with rainout or anything like that.
Stick around for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Nightstand...and dust the area it sits on often. Smile Floor is always a bad idea since the CPAP will be inhaling all the dust and dirt down there right into its filters.
Bleah!

Using a hose holder works well too since it keeps you from getting tangled up in the hose and keeps the rainout down too.
Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
The height of the machine in relation to your head when you lay down is directly proportional to how you deal with rainout (when moist air from the humidifier condenses in the hose and makes wonderful gurgling sounds).

If you have a problem with rainout, then you want it lower than your head. This is so the water does not go onto your face or up your nose. From my experience with it, it burns like the bejeebers! (different pH)

If you do not have a problem with rainout, then put it wherever it is convenient.

And there's no way in heckaroni I would put my machine on the floor. With 2 dogs, 2 cats, wood floors, and high ceilings? It's bad enough with it on the shelf.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I also have my machine sitting on a square of Rubbermaid drawer liner because I accidentally pulled it almost all the way off the nightstand table. I have hardwood and if the machine would have hit the floor I'm sure that damage would have been done. Thank you for all the great tips Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2012, 09:43 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi GrammaBear,
Some people here on the board say that the machine should set on something a bit lower than the bed but my nightstand is slightly higher than my bed and I don't have any trouble with rainout or anything like that.
Stick around for more suggestions.

Same here except for the rainout part which I remedied by reducing humidity. When I get back in touch with my RT I'll acquire a heated hose.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, that drawer liner is good stuff to keep things from sliding. I have the heated hose so I don't have problems with rainout.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
In the anti-rainout department: I also use de-humidifiers to keep the humidity below 50%.
This is mostly to prevent mold from growing but low humidity air tends to take up the water and it stays in vapor state.
At most I get a small collection of droplets in the hose and that is only when the room temperature gets really low.

You folks in the frozen north might need heated hoses in a hose cozy to get this to work.

Cheers! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
A dehumidifier is not going to remove the moisture from your hose.

Even if it did, if it is allegedly removing 50% of the moisture, why are you even using the humidifier to begin with?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I like to keep mine about a foot below my head. That way the water stays in the unit and not the hose.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 594 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,112 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,016 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.