Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machines and nightstands??
RE: CPAP machines and nightstands??
If you're worried about your CPAP sucking up dust off the floor, put it in a box with the top removed. Or a plastic tub.

However, be sure there's a hole in the bottom so water can't collect and drown your CPAP machine if your tub springs a leak.

Don't worry about it looking good. Put your CPAP somewhere you can't pull it off the table in the night. Then worry about making it look good as a second priority.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not have any trouble with "RAIN OUT" , BUT I have a heated hose and a hose hanger (wonderful gadget) .
Back to the night stand. Mine is LEVEL with the bed. I am thinking of getting a short dresser type thing with drawers.That way I could sit t my lamp , etc on the flat top.then use one of the drawers and put the machine in the drawer , maybe throuhgh a hole in front OR better yet out the back. turn it on and inside the drawer would be very quiet no machine noises at all and If done correctly (insulate ?) should be easy to make the air IN even more dust free& clean. Maybe put it in drawer #2 for extra noise reduction? we will see.
Dan Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
There's companies that make CPAP nightstands but they're ghastly expensive. The one I saw locally had a door that opened on the side next to the bed. The back was pegboard so it had lots of "breathing room". It was nice but expensive. We looked at the stock solid wood cabinets at Lowe's and figured if we ever got ambitious enough, we'd get one of those.

A lot of folks put their's in a dresser drawer and leave the drawer open at night then close and hide everything away during the day.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula,
How much "breathing room" do you think it needs? should be OK if there is a nice size hole in the back with a piece of filter material over it
Post Reply Post Reply
I use a 2 drawer filing cabinet which has a shelf above the top drawer, the shelf is wide enough and deep enough to have an S9 with humidifier placed in it, but holes would need to be made in the back of it for air, hose and power cord. I prefer to have my machine sitting on top with my lamp which puts it at bed height, but also allows easier access to the humidifier, I use the small top drawer to keep the clinicians manual and brochures in and the large bottom drawer is where I keep my extra mask, cushions, hose, water tank and filters. It does the job very well, as everything is the one place and it only cost me A$69.00 at a furniture store.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would need a lot to keep it from killing itself. A filter over the opening is one more thing to keep clean and check often.

Also keep in mind on how hard it would be to reach it wherever you put it. You don't want to be fumbling with it and there be water in the humidifier!

Google "cpap cabinet" and see what pops up. You can get ideas from them.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-24-2012, 09:44 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: A dehumidifier is not going to remove the moisture from your hose.

Even if it did, if it is allegedly removing 50% of the moisture, why are you even using the humidifier to begin with?

Right. This is Florida, the state flower is Mildew.
Smile
#1. I have to have dehumidification so I don't get my overload of mold spores.
Without the dehumidifier the humdity soars to 60-70% and then bad things start happening.
(..gross things start to grow inside the walls...)
Using the A/C alone does not dehumidify enough around here. Instead you just get the cool, clammies. Tongue

#2. This makes the CPAP on board humidifier a godsend so I dont get dried out from the constant air blast from the CPAP. ( I can have cake and eat it too!)

#3. It also means that if the ambient air starts out low in humidity, the small amount added by the CPAP has less chance to condense out in the hose.

Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I understand how a de-humidifier works.

The condensation on the inside has very little to do with the humdity on the outside. Some machines can detect this but I doubt they are accurate (they can't get the date right, why would they put money into that?). Regardless, the condensation on the inside happens because the air is warmer than the hose. It cools the air from the humidifier, making it drop it's moisture. Your use of a de-humidifier would not decrease the rainout. It would, however, dehumidify the air coming out the vent in your mask.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Pretty much. It's all about ambient temperature, dew point and relative humidity.
Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
i have only had my machine since last wednesday but have experienced no rainout. i was told by my DMC to keep the unit lower than my head but that is not possible for me so what i did is put a screw in the wall and tied the tube to it so that the first half of the tune is up and the second half goes to my face. when laying in bed i have just enough hose to allow me to roll in my sleep i believe that this helps me prevent rainout and if it does occur its in the first half of tube and goes back to humidifier
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 129 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 872 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 527 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 612 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 84,097 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,128 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 793 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.