Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Doing well, help me get AHI even lower
Doing well, help me get AHI even lower
Hi there,

I've been on CPAP for about 6-7 weeks now, and I'm doing fairly well. You've probably seen me posting here now and again and I'm really enjoying getting to know the community and getting familiar with the usual advice. Which is why I'm confused. As I understand, I should be increasing my pressure to somewhere in the neighbourhood of about 2 cmH2O underneath my 95% pressure. If that's to be believed I should be somewhere between 8-9 as sleepyhead reports it as 10.34. 

I raised my min pressure from 5cmH20 to 6 over two nights and had positive results. 

The results were positive right away but after a while I started having more central apneas. The day after that screenshot I had about 1.5 an hour clear airway events and .5 an hour obstructive events. 

Back at about 2 AHI I decided to start lowering the EPR as I understood that that could have an effect on the clear airway events and eliminating EPR could reduce those.

As you can see my AHI went up and to boot I woke up bloated like crazy, just from reducing the EPR by 1cmH2O from 3 to 2! So reducing EPR is not really an option unless anybody has some tips to not get so bloated. Other than that, what should I be doing now to try and get my AHI down? 2 is on the edge. Anything above 2 I don't feel good in the morning, and anything 1 or under I feel great. So ultimately I'd like to be under 2 most of the time. What would be recommended at this point?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Doing well, help me get AHI even lower
It would really help if you organized the graphs to include Flow Limitations. We really don't need mask pressure since the pressure graph gives us what we need to know. Also, you have set your Y-axis to a fixed range, and it needs to be a wider range for the pressure, mask pressure and Leaks. Be sure the Y-axis is either on "autofit" or set to your full range.

Looking at these results, your leaks are essentially non-existent. In spite of the range of AHI from 0.5 to 3.0, these results are all acceptable. I think you will have better results with EPR at 2, rather than 3 as your pressure needs are quite low. I think you need a bit more minimum pressure, and with a minimum pressure of 7.0, EPR at 2 and maximum pressure of 12, I think you will find things will settle down quite a bit. Please change the graphs to include flow limitations in the future, and if there is a need to move back to EPR at 3, we will be able to see it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 402 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,563 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,169 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 963 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 663 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,563 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  Raise Lower pressure setting crmarks4 10 960 10-09-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.