Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP making my eyes very puffy, drying my hair and skin, causing it to itch
CPAP making my eyes very puffy, drying my hair and skin, causing it to itch
I have been on CPAP for a couple of months and my eyes have become puffier, my hair is very dry and the skin on my head is itching from the dryness. I have a humidifier set on its default setting of 4. Is this normal and can something be done about it? My F30 mask is not leaking much accordingly to sleepyhead.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP making my eyes very puffy, drying my hair and skin, causing it to itch
CPAP and its humidifier will not affect the dryness of your scalp. It's winter time in most parts of the U.S. and our heating systems will dry out the air. The more difference between inside and outside temperatures, the more the relative humidity drops. You may need a room or whole house humidifier for comfort. As the weather warms this Spring, you should start to feel a difference. Be careful not to over-tighten straps as this can cause the puffiness in your eyes and you may want to consider wearing a thin silk head cover. Read the mask primer in my signature links for how to best fit and wear your full face mask.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you rotate the hose elbow 180° so the air is blowing down toward your chin? That helps me a lot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Periorbital Edema Secondary to Positive Airway Pressure Therapy

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/criopm/2015/126501/
Post Reply Post Reply
I took a long break from my cpap traitment and my itchy scalp and very dried hair went away. This is not a winter thing as I have never experienced it. I am not sure what I can try to avoid it. I could not prevent myself fro my scratching my head during the day. It was not where the straps were located.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Thanos. I can imagine several possible mechanisms for your symptoms:

1. Headgear is causing an allergic reaction to your scalp. Try washing it and rinsing very thoroughly to ensure there are no bits of residue from the manufacturing process.

2. Headgear is too tight - this will also present as marks on your face and (probably) a headache

3. Notwithstanding the leak numbers, there might be a slight leak from the top of the mask.

Reading the interesting article which Mila posted above, changing from a full face mask to nasal pillows cured the periorbital edema (swollen eyelids) in some patients. You might like to try a different mask and see if that helps. Also as SleepRider suggested, try wearing some kind of cap under your headgear to avoid it contacting the hair and scalp.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 0 44 Yesterday, 02:48 PM
Last Post: coffee9724
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 595 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 836 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
Gross Need help interpreting data and making adjustments tiredandexpired 13 589 03-01-2024, 10:07 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Help Interpreting OSCAR data and making adjustments Catbois 1 173 03-01-2024, 11:03 AM
  Cpap causing Central Apneas shedu1337 1 265 02-24-2024, 05:46 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.