Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP mask causes pressure upon eye sockets
CPAP mask causes pressure upon eye sockets
Every day, I end up with new eye floaters due to the pressure my CPAP mask places upon my eyes and eye sockets. Is there a solution which resolves this issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP mask causes pressure upon eye sockets
Is there a compelling reason you need to use a full face mask?
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
your mask may be too big.  if the size is right, depending on the distance and placement of your eyes from your nose, full face may not be an option. my wife got around it by using the mirage liberty.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
You may actually have 4 issues going on at the same time.

1. You have started getting floaters. This happens. Check in with an eye person who can look deep into your eyes with that magnifying thingy while you look past his/her ear. I had my great optometrist (the guy who does the eye test) do it for me. He's way better than the opthalmologist who won't give me the time of day and whose assistant planted her private parts on my kneecap. Three times. Seriously. But that's another story. Get a good eye person to have a look to be sure they really are floaters and not something else.

2. Your mask is altogether not compatible with your face. You may have a narrow nose bridge, your eyes may be close set, the distance between eyes and below the lip might be short. You need a different mask.

3. The headgear straps on your mask are in a damage-inducing location. Adjust the headgear or get some Pad-a-Cheeks to keep the orbits from being friction-ated.

4. You could be manhandling your mask in the middle of the night and this is irritating your lower eyelids. This means your face still thinks your mask is an alien being. Generally, it will get over it. If not, try a different mask.

Unlike some on here, I'm a big fan of full face masks. My jaw can slack, and this eases up on my TMJ. Minimal leaks, too. I did, however, have to try a few before I had one that a) didn't cause a full-face hickey, b) didn't induce stigmata on my tender nose bridge, and c) didn't protrude beyond the pointy part of my chin-y chin chin. I've finally settled on one which, although it isn't perfect (among other things it's made my hair from straight to ringlets), is satisfactory, and I never have to mess with it.

I use a Resmed F10. It's narrower between the eyes than the F20. Other folks will have ideas, too.

I had more issues with the P10 nasal pillows headgear getting into my eyes than I do the F10. Go figure.

Hope that helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cecilchamp,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You should ask to try different masks 'till you find one that works for you.
Good luck with CPAP therapy and finding a mask.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You've already received some very good advice.

Please update your profile with the name of the mask that you're using.

How long have you been using xPAP? Are you still in the introductory 30-day period? (because masks are usually exchangeable during that time)

From what you've described, it sounds like the cushion of your mask is too large. I would start by downloading the fitting guide for your mask and see for yourself which size is right for you. If that is not the size that you were given, I'd march right down to the DME and have them either give you the correct size or replace the mask with one that suits the features of your face.

Also, take a look at the mask primer on the ApneaBoard Wiki for lots of good advice/tips:

Mask Primer
Post Reply Post Reply
The mask can be the biggest issue for most users, I had a cupboard full of them, masks have improved since I started on CPAP more years ago then I care to remember,  So try other masks and make sure they do not leak into your eyes or put pressure around the eyes.  A mask should not hurt but be a snug fit.  If you have to tighten it to the point it is uncomfortable, if is not a good fit.
Get one that fits better.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
What mask do you use? Please update your profile so we can help you with fitting.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ur-Profile

No matter the mask, if it is pressing into your eyes, either the frame or the straps, you have it on wrong and/or it is not the right size. Both can happen easily and to all of us at one point or another.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your mask and pressure are not causing eye floaters. Possibly your eyes are dryer but that's not floaters. Mor likely, you are just noticing the floaters and are now connecting them to the CPAP pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ear tubes to help with CPAP ear pressure? PaulaO2 16 3,271 04-19-2024, 04:17 AM
Last Post: jiyun
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 341 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 188 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  New to CPAP and struggling with my mask. jmswjunk4 2 111 04-11-2024, 10:21 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 150 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 686 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 280 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.