Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] [mb635] - AirSense 10 Autoset to Aircurve 10 ASV
RE: [mb635] - AirSense 10 Autoset to Aircurve 10 ASV
Okay, so I am reporting back for the first night. I could not successfully wear the mask all night, I couldn't fall asleep with it on. I am going to make further arrangements for sleep hygiene, ie no work after 7, no blue screens after 7, no caffeine after 2 etc. I have to do so because of work related stuff.  This being the case here is my results from last night: https://imgur.com/a/M3coNFO
Post Reply Post Reply
The most important thing I see is that when you went to bed, your respiration volume was extremely high (tidal volume, minute vent). This is because you masked up before you were settled and calm. The ASV machine tries to maintain that volume and elevates pressure support as your respiratory volume drops. Your normal tidal volume is going to be around 600 mL and a minute vent around 8 L/min. You had the same problem in early graphs where we saw hyperventilation and you quit. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...?aid=26423 I think we associated this problem with your central apnea, but given how little you have tolerated therapy, it could also be you have a form of anxiety about therapy that is making it difficult to calm down and breathe normally. I think the best approach may be to spend some quiet time practicing the control of your respiration and thinking about what might be causing this problem. Start with your breathing stabilized and feeling "normal" for a rested position. Once you establish that, slip on the mask and try to maintain that. If you find yourself experiencing erratic volume or rate, take off the mask and start over.

We can suggest that you reduce the maximum pressure support, but the problem is this machine uses your baseline breathing rate and volume to pace therapy. You are not giving the machine a reasonable baseline to follow. You need to be aware of that problem and practice managing whatever it is that causes extremely erratic breathing rates or volume. Let me clarify what your chart shows. Your flow rate starts near 125 mL/second on both of these sessions. Based on mask pressure, the machine provides pressure near the minimum settings of 8.0/5.0 for the first 4-minutes. As the hyperventilation diminishes at 20:15, the pressure support rises quickly to try to maintain the high baseline respiratory volume. At the same time your respiration rate drops from your normal 14 BPM to 7 BPM. By 20:22 every breath is being augmented by maximum pressure support of 20/5. EPAP remains at 5.0. The solution to this is hopefully very simple...calm down and do not put the mask on until your respiratory volume has stabilized.

[Image: J6lGeZV.jpeg]

[Image: Z0kbLNW.jpeg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't normally suggest this but adding an auto ramp time may also give you some time to settle before therapy begins and allow your breathing to stabilize before the ASV baselines your breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you both for the comments. I do think that I need address my sleep environment. I hope you all aren't frustrated here, I am just trying to see what is going on. I think that I need to definitely relax more before bed. My bed is positioned at the corner of my room , as a family we all sleep in the same room. I have to climb at the bottom of my bed to actually get in. I am going to be sleeping in another room at my house, as there is an extra bed. Please know I am not going to up here on the therapy until I find an answer
Post Reply Post Reply
We don't get frustrated. As "sleep detectives" we just look at the clues and try to find ways to help you help yourself. That is quite a visual of your bedtime. Sounds cozy, but helps explain why you might have elevated respiration as you 'drop in'.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
We just want you to succeed. I know for myself I have had to get the mindset to do all I had to in order to be successful, put on the mask even if you don't want to. We at AB have been there too. We just don't get the T-shirt for it, but we do get great support and the machine does its job on providing therapy. Keep at it and you will win. And refer to AB rule 22, you signed up for AB and aren't allowed to quit. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay here are my results from last night, please note that I haven't been able to fall asleep yet. 
https://imgur.com/a/CzblOiI

Although, I was ale to successfully sleep longer with the mask on. When I say I can't fall asleep, I am saying that current pressure is preventing me from actually sleeping without waking up when I doze off. I changed the initial pressure from 4.0-15.0 EPAP. The 4.0 is wonderful. I find that when I have pauses in breathing, the ASV pumps around 10.0-12.0 into my mouth, thus waking me up. I have to look closer at the machine when it actually does this though. Is there any advice for breathing tempo that anyone recommend here? I find that every time I get into a comfortable breathing tempo it just pumps more air.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like sleep at 20:00.

Let's cut pressure and see if it helps:
ASVauto
EPAP min 4.0
EPAP max 7.0
PS min 1.0
PS max 10.0
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Okay thank you very much ! Will change this ASAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Don’t forget the blow back when the ASV provides pressure blow back hard and it will back off
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 24 450 49 minutes ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 115 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Equipment] Should I turn on the AB Filter option on my AirSense 10 AutoSet for these filters? cLoo 10 840 03-22-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.