Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] 'mild' apnea but increasing. Can anybody provide tips?
'mild' apnea but increasing. Can anybody provide tips?
Hello all,

This is my first post, but I have been reading a lot of the existing posts already  Smile Great that this forum exists.
I will now post myself, because I do not know what to do anymore. Half of the days I feel pretty terrible.

In 2017 I had a polysomnography: AHI 7.2. Mainly hypoapneas. 10% during sleeping on my back.
I received an oral appliance to wear at night. This worked (a next polysomography showed an AHI of 2.2), but eventually impacted my teeth (I now have a gap between my upper and lower teeth when I close my mouth). After that I received a sleep position trainer, but this did not work. The device showed that I slept on my back 0-1% of the time. So, I started using the Dreamstation (see specifics in my bio). After some tinkering with A-FLEX and the humidifier I managed to get an average AHI of 3.2 in the first few months. This felt ok. However, there were some days with score of 5 or 6, and on those days I really feel bad. It really affects my ability to work. The problem is that days with a score of 5 or 6 have increased significantly in the last month (they now happen multiple times per week, also increasing my average). 

Does anybody have any ideas as to what I can do about this? The healthcare professionals in my country (the Netherlands) do not know. I have attached 2 OSCAR screenshots of the same AHI 5.6 night (last night).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 'mild' apnea but increasing. Can anybody provide tips?
First, I would turn the ramp setting to off.  Sometimes it's needed where someone is using a high minimum pressure, but your pressures are fairly low.

As the DreamStation's algorithm is slow to respond to apnea events, turn the minimum pressure up to 7cm.  This would fall in line with your 90% reading which I believe is where it needs to be to tackle some of the Hypopneas.

Also, there does appear to be some positional sleep issues, not too bad though.  Try to stay off your back if possible, and be sure your bed pillows aren't too high as that can push your neck forward causing chin tucking.  We see that a lot here, and some folk will try a soft cervical collar to keep the neck aligned.  Or anything that props the chin from tucking into your chest is good.  Just be aware of that.

The goal is to make you more comfortable and not tired during waking hours, so how you feel is important.

And Welcome to Apnea Board!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your quick response! I have tried increasing the minimum pressure in the past, but only for 1-2 days and that did not help decrease the AHI. But I will try it longer now. Also turning off the ramp function.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2020, 09:36 AM)Willem1978 Wrote: Thank you for your quick response! I have tried increasing the minimum pressure in the past, but only for 1-2 days and that did not help decrease the AHI. But I will try it longer now. Also turning off the ramp function.

Also, try Flex setting of 2. I wasn't sure what you were using, but a flex setting of 3 is uncomfortable for many. So a setting of 1 or 2 may work better.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-04-2020, 09:36 AM)Willem1978 Wrote: Thank you for your quick response! I have tried increasing the minimum pressure in the past, but only for 1-2 days and that did not help decrease the AHI. But I will try it longer now. Also turning off the ramp function.

Don’t mean to sound forward or combative, but you haven’t acknowledged the advice about trying a soft foam cervical collar. This one item may turn your PAP treatment and experience, including your confidence in it, around entirely. I second the suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
I already own a soft collar, because I read about that as well on this forum. But I found it very hard to fall asleep with it (how do people do that?). That is why I will first try the CPAP settings. I am hesitant to trying out too much at once.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, I have some results:

Increasing min pressure from 5 to 7 (A-Flex 2, not using ramp) led to a night with an AHI of 6.5 (H, 4.3, OA 0.93, CA 1.31), This is the exactly the same AHI score I got from previous experiments where I tried to increase to 7.

After that I set my min pressure to 6.5. This resulted in three nights with AHI's of 3.8, 2.9, 4
One night I also wore a cervical collar. On this night I had an AHI of 4.4

So, setting my min pressure to 6.5 does appear to help a little bit. But I think it is very strang that I keep getting worse results when I increase my pressure to 7??
My 90% pressure was 8.6 in the last month. In the months before, when I was happy with the therapy, the 90% pressure was 7 with an average AHI 3.2. This was very stable, I rarely got AHI's of 5 and 6 in that period.
Post Reply Post Reply
Charts help us a lot, please post them.
At 7, exactly when did you get what events, what caused them, why were they not prevented

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a screenshot of the AHI 7 night. Or actually the first part of it. I see in the Oscar that I set the max pressure to 6.5 after waking up. Sorry for the confusion, I am not thinking clearly.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The charts are similar except for the Central Apnea which is in consistent.
Higher pressures can lead some individuals into higher Central.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASV settings and tips jcp519 43 1,352 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 269 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
  Central apneas and tips to improve CPAP therapy jcp519 20 1,286 02-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Last Post: jcp519
Question [CPAP] New to CPAP/APAP looking for Adjustment tips jster71 2 305 02-16-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: Old Steve
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,057 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.