Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP modems and remote changes to your settings without your knowledge
RE: CPAP modems and remote changes to your settings without your knowledge
Absolutely an old topic, but I wanted to add some input...
For want of better connectivity - a USB port for example - The SD card will still be there for some time. Two reasons come to mind... :

1) As users, we only see one part of the "picture" > the collected data being accessible by end-users Smile - But, you also have maintenance/upgrade imperatives. I don't see the RESMED techs, for example, upgrading a system BIOS/firmware/software over the air. Feasible? Sure. Risky? Very. Slow and risky? Absolutely. So the SD slot will stay... for some time.
2) Not the entire planet is covered by GPRS/2-3-4-5G connectivity. That farmer in a remote Minnesota location can't really depend on signal, nor can therapy be properly administered if no one has access to the data. > SD card iscurrently the only method of delivery Smile

So I would not start stocking up on data-capable systems, just yet...
Post Reply Post Reply
I know I'm resurrecting an older thread, but the discussion we had back in 2014 regarding these cellular modems on CPAP machines brought me back, since yesterday I just received a new PR DreamStation Auto (DSX500) CPAP machine from my DME (paid for by insurance).

I had a sleep study back in January (my second one, the original was back in 2004).  I asked the doctor to write the script for an auto-CPAP, which he did, but he put on the script for the pressure to be 4-20 cmH2O (wide open).   Thinking-about   The doc was fully aware that I adjust my own pressures, and he had no problem with me doing that after I kind of proved I knew what I was talking about.

My older PR System One auto I was using prior to this was set to 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20, so after I got home, I went ahead, got into the Clinician Setup mode on the new DreamStation and set it up to the same pressure (12.5-18.5).  Ah, all well and good (I thought...).

So, went to bed pretty late last night, but when I put the mask on and turned the new DreamStation on, it started delivering pressure at 4 cmH2O (WAY, WAY too low for me to even breathe properly).

What happened?

Well, the DME had installed a modem into the DreamStation machine.  The modem apparently contacted headquarters and reset the CPAP to the prescribed settings (wide open at 4-20).  Dang. Oh-jeez 

So, I went through the process of setup yet again (and I had to reset several settings, not just pressure)... Rolleyes

There's an option to "Turn off the modem" in the patient mode, so I went ahead and turned off the modem.  This apparently turns it off for 3 days, and then it automatically turns itself back on after that.

So, I must have the modem send data back to the "mothership" in order to prove compliance for insurance purposes.  But yet I don't want this stupid machine resetting my pressures every 3 days, and having to go through the setup process every time, then turn off the modem for another 3 days.

So here's what I'm wondering-- would there be any problem if I remove the modem (easy since it's a snap-in component on the DreamStation), and then, say, once a week put it back in, and then choose the patient option to "upload data", then once it's completed, take the modem back out again.

I'm thinking this would allow the data to be uploaded for compliance, but yet won't have all my settings over-written every 3 days.

Anyone see a problem doing that?  (Jeesh, I hate Big Brother technology)... Annoyed-and-disappointed
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
that should work.

If you change your settings they should stay changed. Your DME would have to physically click some buttons on their end in Encore to change your settings back. you could call them and ask them not to change your settings....?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-28-2018, 01:54 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: I know I'm resurrecting an older thread, but the discussion we had back in 2014 regarding these cellular modems on CPAP machines brought me back, since yesterday I just received a new PR DreamStation Auto (DSX500) CPAP machine from my DME (paid for by insurance).

I had a sleep study back in January (my second one, the original was back in 2004).  I asked the doctor to write the script for an auto-CPAP, which he did, but he put on the script for the pressure to be 4-20 cmH2O (wide open).   Thinking-about   The doc was fully aware that I adjust my own pressures, and he had no problem with me doing that after I kind of proved I knew what I was talking about.

My older PR System One auto I was using prior to this was set to 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20, so after I got home, I went ahead, got into the Clinician Setup mode on the new DreamStation and set it up to the same pressure (12.5-18.5).  Ah, all well and good (I thought...).

So, went to bed pretty late last night, but when I put the mask on and turned the new DreamStation on, it started delivering pressure at 4 cmH2O (WAY, WAY too low for me to even breathe properly).

What happened?

Well, the DME had installed a modem into the DreamStation machine.  The modem apparently contacted headquarters and reset the CPAP to the prescribed settings (wide open at 4-20).  Dang. Oh-jeez 

So, I went through the process of setup yet again (and I had to reset several settings, not just pressure)... Rolleyes

There's an option to "Turn off the modem" in the patient mode, so I went ahead and turned off the modem.  This apparently turns it off for 3 days, and then it automatically turns itself back on after that.

So, I must have the modem send data back to the "mothership" in order to prove compliance for insurance purposes.  But yet I don't want this stupid machine resetting my pressures every 3 days, and having to go through the setup process every time, then turn off the modem for another 3 days.

So here's what I'm wondering-- would there be any problem if I remove the modem (easy since it's a snap-in component on the DreamStation), and then, say, once a week put it back in, and then choose the patient option to "upload data", then once it's completed, take the modem back out again.

I'm thinking this would allow the data to be uploaded for compliance, but yet won't have all my settings over-written every 3 days.

Anyone see a problem doing that?  (Jeesh, I hate Big Brother technology)... Annoyed-and-disappointed

Novel idea here; Call the DME and tell him you set the machine to "xxxxxx" and would like him to do the same so it works as it should and you don't have to jump through any hoops...... What do you think?
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
dmeRT - when the modem "phones home" each day, my settings are over-written to the script settings.

Galactus - DME says they can't change the settings without new script from sleep doctor. Script settings (4-20, wide open) are re-set to that script automatically every time the machine phones home.

Called sleep doctor and he can't change settings without an appointment.  Next available appointment is in 6 weeks.   Oh-jeez

At this point, I'm just wondering if I pull the modem out and re-insert it into the machine for a few minutes each week would cause any issues... (only put the modem in when I want to upload compliance data)
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is a Faraday cage feasible?
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
What a bunch of carts and horses with these people.

The real question is even if you only insert it once every few days won't it still change as soon as it communicates? Still gonna be a pain in the azz.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd just pull the modem all together and return it and ask them to supply a SD card you can mail in.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
On further consideration I'd pull the modem, call and say it doesn't work Big Grin Or say it's somewhere where it can't connect. Let them figure another way to get compliance data. (even like what walla walla said too)
Post Reply Post Reply
I have failed!  Our forum admin is using a damn Dreamstation.   Dont-know

Solution is to tell your doctor your preferred settings, and to instruct the DME to leave you alone. Problem solved.

Edited to add: No wonder you get so cranky.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 227 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 450 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  CPAP Settings Support cspofford1 3 284 02-07-2024, 04:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  [CPAP] BiLevel Settings From CPAP fstbiker 17 937 01-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 406 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Settings Help as New CPAP User alienfrontier 7 476 01-18-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.