Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] new electricity bill
RE: new electricity bill
(03-19-2012, 08:47 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I didn't know any power utility offered a discount for CPAP (or any medical device) usage.

I am not surprised you are being asked to re-file the request. With the merger, and probably different billing software, they probably cleaned house and started over on a lot of things.

Here in Michigan, Consumers Energy offers a discount for electricity with a signed form from your doctor for Cpap usage as it is a life support device--by their own words and form available to download from their website.

I have heard it is common to consider Cpap a life support device by most utilities.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think a CPAP uses enough electricity to warrant any kind of rebate or discount on an electric bill. It is not something I would ever take advantage of because that's how I would see it: taking advantage of something. It would be a waste of funds that could be used elsewhere. Even when I was at my brokest, I would not have done it. But then, I'm odd that way.

However, I believe that letting the power company know as well as the local fire dept know that you depend on electricity for your health, that's a good thing.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2013, 12:24 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: However, I believe that letting the power company know as well as the local fire dept know that you depend on electricity for your health, that's a good thing.

I thought so too, so I checked the web site for my local electrical utility. Here is what they say if you are on life support equipment that requires electricity:

"No one can predict a power outage. You should purchase a generator to avoid having to relocate to a shelter. Click *here* to have one of our experts come out to assess your needs and how to add the cost of supplying one of our approved generators to your monthly bill."

Like, "Oh, too bad, you died. Oh well, someone will buy your house from your estate and our income stream will continue unabated. Not our problem." Dontcha just love capitalism?

And I added my own generator, from Home Depot. And I have ten gallons of gas in the garage and another 15 that I can siphon out of the car if necessary - enough to run the generator for 40 hours. Since I need to run it only at night that is about four days worth of emergency power. And i don't owe the power company anything.

I hope y'all have electric utility companies that actually do something if a customer needs electricity for life support.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi

There are some subsidies offered in various Australian States to low income households for medical equipment usage.

Mostly they refer to 'Life Support' equipment so it is arguable as to whether xPAP equipment will qualify in all cases.

My father was on oxygen 24/7 and the Dept of Veterans Affairs gave him a significant payment toward his power bill to help run the oxygen concentrator. (DVA Gold Card required)

Ergon Energy (Regional QLD) also had him on a list to notify for power outages and for priority return of power in the case of blackout.

Google "australian government rebate for medical electricity usage" for a good list of available rebate schemes in Australia.

Cheers

David
Post Reply Post Reply
The power company knowing you are on electricity dependent medical equipment isn't just to get the power to you quickly. It's also so they know who is where. But, really, it is the local police department or fire department that should know not just for power outage but for any kind of emergency.

As for CPAP being "life support", I don't think it is. Yes, it is extremely, extremely important that we use it. Yes, it is beneficial not just for good sleep, but for several body systems to properly function. But, if the power goes out, I won't immediately die. My death from not using it would be slow and probably painful but spread out over an amount of time, years instead of days or weeks. To me, life support means power is necessary for immediate survival.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 175 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP NelsonM 3 1,115 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
  [Equipment] Any CPAP Suppliers Who Don't Bill Deductible? msmith404040 0 625 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: msmith404040
  [Equipment] Resmed Autosense - No Electricity Scare Zainabpb 14 2,280 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Electricity related horrible CPAP smell carlrtx 26 3,947 08-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Last Post: silentsnore
  Does your utility provide assistance in electricity rates for using XPAP? mhehe 26 5,196 03-31-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Lee Moench
  Spy Car Bill's (Hopefully) Excellent ASV Adventure Spy Car 111 14,584 12-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Hojo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.