Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] new electricity bill
new electricity bill
Hi All recently in NSW our eletricity supplier was changed from INTEGRAL energy to ORIGIN suposedly only a NAME CHANGE.
On the new bill recieved today the refund for my " positive airways pressure device" has vanished along with the reduced off peak electricity charges so a substancial increase in electricty costs.
They inform me that I will have to re apply for the refund for my cpap machine and fill in a new set of forms.
The last bill cycle their computer issued a overdue final demand as soon as you paid the bill early, I paid mine 14 days early.
I would recomend a close check of your next bill as most I have spoken to do not.Huhsign
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: new electricity bill
I didn't know any power utility offered a discount for CPAP (or any medical device) usage.

I am not surprised you are being asked to re-file the request. With the merger, and probably different billing software, they probably cleaned house and started over on a lot of things.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 08:34 PM)embroiderer Wrote: Hi All recently in NSW our eletricity supplier was changed from INTEGRAL energy to ORIGIN suposedly only a NAME CHANGE.
On the new bill recieved today the refund for my " positive airways pressure device" has vanished along with the reduced off peak electricity charges so a substancial increase in electricty costs.
They inform me that I will have to re apply for the refund for my cpap machine and fill in a new set of forms.
The last bill cycle their computer issued a overdue final demand as soon as you paid the bill early, I paid mine 14 days early.
I would recomend a close check of your next bill as most I have spoken to do not.Huhsign

welcome to the forum. an electric bill refund for cpap? never heard of anything like that here. the cpap is such a small small part of my electric bill, that it wouldn't even matter.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I just checked my utility company website (Progress Energy) and they had nothing about medical equipment except emergency preparedness. Consider yourself lucky you got the break! I'd fill out those forms again before they change their mind!

And yes, I don't think my CPAP uses much electricity at all. I keep meaning to get one of those 'watt minder' thingies. I could use that to see how much it used.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2012, 08:34 PM)embroiderer Wrote: Hi All recently in NSW our eletricity supplier was changed from INTEGRAL energy to ORIGIN suposedly only a NAME CHANGE.

Where is NSW? New South Wales in Australia? Isn't that where Resmed is headquartered? Did they negotiate a rebate for their users there?

Anyhow, the Resmed Autoset and Elite seem to use about 35 watts, and use 70 watts if used with a humidifier, and peak power is 110 watts, so this is generally less than a 100-watt bulb.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read that some electricity suppliers in US do offer a rebate for CPAP use.
Australia one of the largest exporter of coal, gas and minerals yet we have one the highest electricity prices in the developed world and also with the introduction of the carbon tax (one of the highest as well) prices set to go higher.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, there is no type of refund for use of electrical powered medical devices. *Sigh*
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will be checking over here for a refund and maybe a tax break Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know if you find out anything, please.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll have to check with Duke Energy and see if they offer anything like this. But like the others, I suspect that the energy used by the CPAP is nothing compared to the air-conditioner, a large Dell desktop and a 27" iMac. Both computers run almost all of the time as we participate in BOINC projects. Dont-know
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 175 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Medical baseline: saving a dollar a day on electricity bill thanks to CPAP NelsonM 3 1,115 09-07-2021, 08:29 AM
Last Post: BionicBreather
  [Equipment] Any CPAP Suppliers Who Don't Bill Deductible? msmith404040 0 625 02-12-2021, 01:20 PM
Last Post: msmith404040
  [Equipment] Resmed Autosense - No Electricity Scare Zainabpb 14 2,280 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Electricity related horrible CPAP smell carlrtx 26 3,947 08-31-2018, 05:36 PM
Last Post: silentsnore
  Does your utility provide assistance in electricity rates for using XPAP? mhehe 26 5,196 03-31-2018, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Lee Moench
  Spy Car Bill's (Hopefully) Excellent ASV Adventure Spy Car 111 14,584 12-02-2017, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Hojo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.