Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP newbie
CPAP newbie
Hi:

just got a remote sleeptest (using ApneaLink Air) and got the attached results.
I am thinking on starting on resmed autoset 10 CPAP system.
I noticed that the test shows both OSA and CSA (not sure how it detects CSA, without giving pressure like CPAP device)
is this a good starting point based on my results?
I attached the results.

Thanks much

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP newbie
Welcome and a MAJOR warning  edit (I saw the CPAP above and missed the AutoSet in the above post)

DO NOT ACCEPT the ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP it is a BRICK and produces NO DETAILED DATA (summary only)  

Accept the following
ResMed AirSense 10 Elite (a CPAP with detailed data)
or preferred
ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet or the AutoSet for Her variant (Guys use this too).

You have not received the device,  FLAT OUT REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS MACHINE.  You have a choice and the cost to you is the same.

Which car would you want, they cost you the same, The Chevy Corvette or the Cruze?  I think I know the answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks much.

I have not bought anything yet, and I am paying cash for it.

does the ResMed AirSense 10 Elite have autoset feature?

also the 

ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her

I read somewhere that it has 1 extra  mode more than the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet. is this correct? 

The is the first time I hear that the regular ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet does not give detailed data. But thanks for the wannring..

PS: I was also considering the philips DreamStation Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
I minunderstod you and You mis understood me. I saw the Big CPAP and missed the AutoSet.

IMHO the AutoSet is the best of class for basic OSA. It HAS what you are asking about and has detailed data, You do not have basic OSA. 57% of your Apneas are Central and that is a whole other animal treatment wise. and ultimately you are likely to fail at treatment with your machine, we can try, In your case I suggest a 'lightly' used machine from Supplier #2 and it will come with a warranty. You should be able to resell it for near your cost if it doesn't work out.
With an AutoSet Central Apneas are treated by avoiding them. Avoiding them means doing the exact opposite what you need to do to treat your Obstructive Apnea so it becomes a balancing act.
With the ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto you have a better chance because many users can somewhat reduce Centrals by increasing the trigger sensitivity.

The only machine that is specifically designed to treat Central apnea (and OSA) is the ASV.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again,

for a newbie though do you suggest going to ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto right away or maybe start with resmed 10 autoset and see if eliminating some OSA will improve the CSA as well???
Post Reply Post Reply
The VAuto gives us the chance to increase the Trigger Sensivity and see if that helps your CSA. We can certainly try the AutoSet, it is a good machine for OSA, and it is fairly easy to resell, at least it was pre-Covid.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have been great.
promise last question since the philips DreamStation Auto CPAP  is on sale $399
Is it a good start as well? and what mask do you suggest for a newbie.

Thanks again/
Post Reply Post Reply
My 2 cents. If you can get the Resmed aircurve VAUTO. stay away from the philips machines they just don’t react like Resmed. They are slower and do not do nearly as good a job.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
No, absolutely not.  The AutoSet is sooo much more capable.

ResMed AutoSet Dreamstation Auto comparison
Why ResMed?
1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.
2. ResMed Responds to Flow Limits
   PR responds to Snores
3. Lower average pressure (PR require a higher pressure to ward off obstructive events)
4. Better to avoid Aerophagia.
5. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores
6. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw (1,2, or 3cmw) and a max pressure of 20 cmw
7. EPR follows your breathing whereas Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly
8. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.
9. In general provides better therapy.
I have frequently told many DreamStation users that they need to get either the ReaMed AutoSet or BiLevel to get better therapy. 

Masks, read the Mask Primer in my signature.  I use the  ResMed P10 Pillow Masks and that is a very popular model here.  The only issue may be mouth breathing but we will not know that until you try.  There is a section on that in the Mask Primer.  Go thru the masks on Supplier #1's site, they list popularity, the more popular masks are one that are working for more people (reorders).
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sure where you are planning to buy, but Supplier #2 has a very good price on the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset right now at $539. Very good vendor support from SecondWindCPAP.

You asked how a home sleep test can detect centrals. Your test device must have used a chest strap that measures respiratory effort. Apnea is scored when respiratory flow falls below 20% of normal for at least 10 seconds, and is scored as obstructive if respiratory effort (chest expansion) is measured, or central if no respiratory effort occurs. Your CAI is a bit of a concern, and we will just have to see how CPAP goes. I don't think the bilevel Vauto is going to be advised because higher pressure support can be a problem with central apnea.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 129 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 479 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.