Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP newbie
RE: CPAP newbie
Use the set settings for one night then post OSCAR results screenshot. I assume you have an SD card, any SD card 2-32 GB will work, any brand.
Then we will see what is needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Guys, I need your help
First night I am trying the resmed 10 autoset (5-20)
I put mask and try it, and I can breath form nose with no issue.
However, every once in a while I like to take a deep breath from mouth, and when I do that using the CPAP Nasal pillow, I feel like I can not breath from mouth (suffocating). Is this normal? the pressure on screen is 4 when this happens.
Also I can smell the plastic from the new hose, I am guessing this will go away. and My lungs were hurting a bit. I only tried it for 4 mins to test.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking you'd need to be good at the tongue suck method of choosing when your mouth is sealed off from the airway. Feelings of suffocation are likely from too low a pressure setting, in your case 5 may not be acceptable to your body. And it's trying to tell you about it. An OSCAR chart would help to see what is going on once you have the data to show us. It does seem the settings aren't right somehow. Too low a pressure with EPR could do it, or other settings not appropriate to your therapy needs.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, When the CPAP is pumping air for your next breath (through the nasal mask), shouldn't it be normal to feel that suffocation feeling when you are trying to breath from mouth because the air is pushing against the palate? what pressure do you suggest, I though the machine comes with an SD card, but it does not I have to buy one tomorrow for OSCAR.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are using a nasal mask you don’t inhale or exhale through your mouth, you breath through your nose only. If you breath in or out of your mouth you need a full face mask.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW on your SD card, be sure to get an SD or SDHC, full physical size not mini or micro unless you want to use an adapter, capacity of 2-32GB and it can be any brand. It need not say ResMed. I think your PAP can format new cards itself, but you can format it on your PC to a FAT32.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-03-2020, 10:04 PM)staceyburke Wrote: If you are using a nasal mask you don’t inhale or exhale through your mouth, you breath through your nose only. If you breath in or out of your mouth you need a full face mask.

This is what I thought.
Even though I breath 95% form nose, I like every once in a while to satisfy my lungs and take a deep breath from mouth(which seems not possible with the nasal pillow, correct?)
Post Reply Post Reply
While you are awake you can. You can talk with a little practice. BUT if you have enough pressure (yours is 5 and most adults need around 8) really don’t need to  , you will have plenty of air.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok, my first night was not very comfortable. Only tolerated the machine for 2 hours and did not sleep well.
I feel like I over worked my lungs, and I had to keep my breath syncing with the machine. 
Every once in the while in the first hour , I temporarily removed the mask to breath from mouth. but towards the second hour I dont think I did that.

Is this normal for the first night on CPAP (I really feel that my lungs have been working hard and hurting a bit).
Should I try a full mask (recommendations), pressure changes (recommendations)?

Thanks for the great forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Could you post an OSCAR chart(s) so we can see what was happening. Check out which carts are needed at the bottom of the post.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 379 Yesterday, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 130 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 480 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 265 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 296 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.